For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Team

I pressed, whilst lifting the MacBook with one hand by the lid, my thumb enough through the screen to knacker it.

The screen has gone black with a nice colourful crack but you can't use the screen.

I have now put it via the Dell Dock onto another Monitor. That works.

What are the options?

1. Send it to Apple to get it repaired (suggested to cost about 400 euros)

2. Chuck it in the bin and get a new one(It is sub 12 months old)

3. Use it as a dock and desktop as I am doing now, stop sulking and get a replacement laptop.

4. Has anyone repaired a MB screen with success, is it easy?
Frank,

If you are not keen on doing the repair yourself then give this guy a try, he is a fellow aviator, I did his IMC/IR(R).

He is an Apple qualified repair agent based near Bristol UK and would be able to give you some independent advice if nothing else.

https://www.quickcalldave.com/
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:
skydriller wrote:Aren't the fruit-books around 1.5k??

The lower cost ones are. :D

I was being conservative :wink: , my GFs son is a fan-boy and he was on about the new small ipad thingy for SD... I took a look at one in the fruit-shop and he was most unimpressed when I spotted the price and exclaimed I could drop a half-dozen or more Samsung things off the wing for the same money - and they wont overheat and shut down... :lol: :lol:

Regards, SD..
Rob P liked this
By stevelup
Miscellaneous wrote:@skydriller I have been struggling with 4k editing on my 2013 MacBook Pro. Seeing the launch of the new MacBook Pro with the M1 MAX processor I had a look, limiting options to an increase in memory to 64GB memory, it's £3699. :shock:

But that's not a like-for like comparison and so hardly surprising. An entry level MacBook Air will outperform your 2013 MacBook Pro and handle 4K editing just fine. And they start at £1k.

Or the cheapest MacBook Pro is £1800 and will absolutely blow your old machine out of the water, and I bet that's no more than your paid for your original one all those years ago.

Unless you're dealing with half a dozen simultaneous 8K streams, you don't need the M1 MAX!

To put a positive spin on the pricing of the M1 MAX, you'd be making a jump in performance of about two orders of magnitude, for probably less than double the price difference you paid for your original machine.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By skydriller
stevelup wrote: An entry level MacBook Air will outperform your 2013 MacBook Pro and handle 4K editing just fine. And they start at £1k.

I recall mentioning earlier that I just happened to be in a Fruit Store the other day. Reason being that my GF was being persuaded by her son (Fan-boy) to get get one. I believe she paid a shade under/over 1500Euros for the laptop version. Now dont get me wrong its sylish lovely girly gold-pink-silver colour and is very light and portable. But thats alot of cash... :shock:

I kept my mouth shut bar commenting "if it goes wrong, do NOT ask me for help, phone fan-boy there..." :naughty:

Regards, SD..