A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By Jim Jones
Sooty25 wrote:
I can't say to my UK customers "sorry mate, can't support the kit I sold you 6 months ago 'cos of Putin"

I supplied it before the conflict, I need support to honour the warranties. If I make no attempt to support the kit I've sold, 1. It'll all turn up on my doorstep, 2. I lose the customer.

It is not the fault of my customers, me or the small business based in Kaliningrad, that Putin invaded, but there are still problems to fix.

And if this is all over in 6 weeks time, we all need some relationships to survive if the world wants to rebuild.

That must be how the German government must feel too.

Are there no alternative sources for what you need? Customers might understand delays if there was a possible answer.
As for the Kalingrad business, the message has to get through to Russian people somehow.
By Rob P
[continued thread creep]

Oddly the UK is ranked amongst the Eurovision favourites this year, hard to comprehend why when we have chosen a song apparently sung by a gentleman who has suffered a nasty accident straddling a barbed wire fence.

Rob P
MikeB liked this
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:[continued thread creep]

Oddly the UK is ranked amongst the Eurovision favourites this year, hard to comprehend why when we have chosen a song apparently sung by a gentleman who has suffered a nasty accident straddling a barbed wire fence.

Rob P

And pinched the story/tune from Chris de Burgh :roll:
By kanga
johnm wrote:
And rampant ante-British sentiment. :lol:

I suppose there will be Celts on the jury and in the audience :D

to be 'ante-British' would one rather have to self-identify as Pictish ? :wink:
Rob P, PeteSpencer, Charles Hunt and 1 others liked this
By eltonioni
Here's to a Eurovision Ukraine/ UK / Poland first, second and third. The first two are decent songs and the politics should see them through

Allemagne, nul points. :twisted:

By eltonioni
That's are nice little vignettes, if a little sentimental.

Newsagents know everything that's happening and Auntie Valya is no exception.

Eventually the penny will drop about the deception and word will spread over counters like hers.

Dusty_B liked this
By Sooty25
Jim Jones wrote:
Sooty25 wrote:
I can't say to my UK customers "sorry mate, can't support the kit I sold you 6 months ago 'cos of Putin"

I supplied it before the conflict, I need support to honour the warranties. If I make no attempt to support the kit I've sold, 1. It'll all turn up on my doorstep, 2. I lose the customer.

It is not the fault of my customers, me or the small business based in Kaliningrad, that Putin invaded, but there are still problems to fix.

And if this is all over in 6 weeks time, we all need some relationships to survive if the world wants to rebuild.

That must be how the German government must feel too.

Are there no alternative sources for what you need? Customers might understand delays if there was a possible answer.
As for the Kalingrad business, the message has to get through to Russian people somehow.

We are only supporting equipment supplied prior to the conflict. I can't let my customers down.
Thankfully, the tech support guys are still providing support, I guess we are both hoping for a coup, and a chance to return to sanity.
Sadly, some of the product is unique, no alternative manufacturers.
Jim Jones liked this
By A4 Pacific
We are only supporting equipment supplied prior to the conflict. I can't let my customers down.

Two or three months ago, I didn’t think I could dislike more, your advocacy of appeasement over Ukraine. Turning a blind eye to the egregious murderous slaughter of thousands of innocents being committed there. Throwing Ukraine to the dogs. Yet having read of your business’ dependence on mother Russia, I now have a better understanding of your vested financial interest in normalising relations with Putin’s horrific regime.

You appear to want to learn a little more about Kaliningrad? Here’s a nice article for you:

https://theconversation.com/kaliningrad-russias-unsinkable-aircraft-carrier-deep-in-nato-territory-182541
Loco parentis liked this
By johnm
Phew that's a bit strong, though I can understand..... The article is extremely interesting ta! :thumright:
By eltonioni
Our MOD is reporting that it's still going a bit tits for Russia. The thread is worth a read and clearly they would say that wouldn't they, but there's no counterfactual that doesn't come out the Kremlin.

eltonioni wrote:Here's to a Eurovision Ukraine/ UK / Poland first, second and third,...

Allemagne, nul points.

Three out of four ain't bad. 8) Wonder what I'd have got on a first, second, nul point accumulator. :cheers:

By PeteSpencer
CloudHound wrote:Watching EU Vis now.

UA not the best song by far.

I’m voting for Norway.

Sam Ryder played a blinder: excellent song and performance:: significantly the music professionals judges placed it top in the first round of votes.

As the DT geezer said ‘we wuz robbed’.

But who really couldn’t begrudge Ukraine a win?
eltonioni, GrahamB, Dusty_B and 2 others liked this
By Sooty25
A4 Pacific wrote:

Two or three months ago, I didn’t think I could dislike more, your advocacy of appeasement over Ukraine. Turning a blind eye to the egregious murderous slaughter of thousands of innocents being committed there. Throwing Ukraine to the dogs. Yet having read of your business’ dependence on mother Russia, I now have a better understanding of your vested financial interest in normalising relations with Putin’s horrific regime.

You appear to want to learn a little more about Kaliningrad? Here’s a nice article for you:

https://theconversation.com/kaliningrad-russias-unsinkable-aircraft-carrier-deep-in-nato-territory-182541

I'll openly admit I'm not a big fan of Ukraine, it wasn't that long ago it was being touted as the destination for all the stolen Rotax 91x engines, amongst other things. There's also a significant number of drug/crime gangs operating in our cities led by Ukrainian gangs. I do feel sorry to the decent population, but they ain't all nice.

No I don't want our armed forces sent to fight their war if the response could be a nuke dropped on London. Risk vs reward just doesn't add up. You want to fight for them? I'll buy you a set of fatigues and you can go fight in your own name, not mine.

Oddly enough, I never bothered to research the geographical history of Kaliningrad some years ago when I started dealing with these guys, and I very much doubt they are in Putins inner circle, they are a small group of engineers, not oligarchs. Besides, I'm not spending money with them, I'm just supporting my customers, which I'm obliged to do. Abandoning my customers won't help anybody.

As for "vested financial interest", if you knew the figures involved, you'd realise how stupid that statement was, and anyway, it doesn't remove the responsibility to my customers.

All I've done is challenge your desire to escalate this into world war 3, a war none of us can win. You seem intent to attack my opinion because it doesn't match yours. Well, you can shove your opinion of me and my opinion up your ****.

I'm done.
By kanga
In his long and sometimes rambling speech at the very start of the 'special military operation', he invoked the Battle of Poltava, 1709, at Poltava in Ukraine,.

<History nerd>

In it a Swedish Army (with Polish elements) was defeated and effectively driven out of the far South area of its former Empire by an army nominally under the command of the then Russian Tsar, but consisting of Ukrainians Cossacks and Kalmyks as well as Russians. Soon and now again since the collapse of the USSR this is 'remembered' in Russian history as an all-Russian triumph (denying the separate identity of other nationalities in the Tsarist Empire, as Putin now denies the nationhood of Ukraine or Moldova), with Sweden as the 'historic enemy'.

</>

Of course, for Petersburgers like Putin, Sweden was not only the ancient enemy but very much a near threat even while outside NATO.
johnm liked this