A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
kanga wrote:It must be good to have such influence :wink:

Never underestimate the power of the Flyer Forum.

Some years ago there was much debate about government policy on something, I can't remember what, now, but the government seemed to not be doing anything.

I typed out something on here along the lines of, "What I think they should do is...."

On the news that night a government spokesperson read out a statement of what the government were going to do. It was pretty much word for word what I'd typed out on here.
kanga, Charles Hunt liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Charles Hunt wrote:Paul for PM!

I was with a group of friends once and I asked some pertinent political questions. One of my friends said I should become an MP. I said no, I only have questions, MPs have to have answers...

I think I'd rather take on the job of England football manager. Something like £1.8m a year? I'd do it for a year then resign if there was no improvement.

Is there a job going for a cricket manager?
kanga, Pete L liked this
By TrickyWoo
I was in Dnipro in south eastern Ukraine in 2018. Was working but we ended up in a 'nightclub'. 0200 lights come on, national anthem played, all stood up stock still and proud. Anthem over. Bar and poles resume ops normal. Awesome people.

I have a photo from the hotel saying 'no reptiles in room' and 'no radioactive materials'. Radioactive snakes presumably right out. I bought a badge with the Union flag and Ukrainian flag and still have it somewhere. They're great people. And...not unattractive.

DE are oc in hock to the gas and the boxheads need a plebiscite to go active anyway. We'll do nowt. Tragic but inevitable.

(Oh and I speak Russian - it was pointed out in the nicest and most lethal way that it was inadvisable to use this ability in Ukraine. I love 'em. My main security bod in Kiev said 'every day is party or revolution. Most days is party. You want see gun again?' (No! I don't want to know why you have a gun!!!') 'OK. Here is gun.'
Last edited by TrickyWoo on Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eltonioni liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
When I worked in Kiev, everything was radioactive from Chernobyl anyway...

I installed a 3G base station in the near corner of this building up in the roof space during a trial we were doing...don't suppose it's there any more!

By TrickyWoo
Paul_Sengupta wrote:When I worked in Kiev, everything was radioactive from Chernobyl anyway...

You could have left some for the rest of us. It was bloody freezing when I was there.
By Loco parentis
Things seem to be warming up in the Ukraine but, not perhaps in the best of ways . If we back off, NATOs reputation is irretrievably trashed. Some might say that it is already too late for that.

Does anyone know the numbers for the Ukrainian Army ? How many battle tanks? How many divisions of infantry? Fighter bomber numbers? Artillery ? Ground to ground and ground to air missiles ?
By TrickyWoo
Loco parentis wrote:Things seem to be warming up in the Ukraine but, not perhaps in the best of ways . If we back off, NATOs reputation is irretrievably trashed. Some might say that it is already too late for that.

Does anyone know the numbers for the Ukrainian Army ? How many battle tanks? How many divisions of infantry? Fighter bomber numbers? Artillery ? Ground to ground and ground to air missiles ?

The Ukrainians are fighting for their freedom. The Russians are fighting for either money or because they’re under orders with no choice. Either way many young, ambitious and potentially awesome European citizens will die for VP’s political legacy.

One US advisor type said to me ‘Putin’s the most successful organised criminal since Crassus’
kanga liked this
By eltonioni
This morning a German minister (Rottenberg?) was saying 'we're against military support but we'll do economic sanctions' while RAF C17s were diverting around German airspace to fly anti aircraft weapons into Kiev.

This evening Germany is now against economic sanctions.

The price of gas.

ISTR Germany and Russia appeasing each other last century. What could possibly go wrong by being on the wrong side of history yet again. It absolutely stinks.