A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Ah memories! I used to get regularly held up in the nuke transportation motorcade from A14 (A45as it was then) in the 80s and 90s on the way to RAF Honington where they kept them.
Always on a Thursday midday ish and always held me up on the way to my afternoon Clinic at Thetford Cottage Hospital :wink: :roll:

Sometimes I actually got incorporated in the procession at speed which never slowed or stopped till it turned off the A134 to Honington .
By A4 Pacific
And the French and Brits having their own 'independent' deterrent?

Laughable. No British or French politician would launch until Uncle Sam gives the nod, and theirs are already overhead.

It’s possible either you or I misunderstands the UK’s independent deterrent? I thought it was only to be used when there are no British politicians (or country) left? In which case, I’d like the submarine commander to carry out the secret written instructions held onboard by him/her from the Prime Minister. AFAIK that needn’t include any reference to the occupant of the White House?

Hence the term ‘independent nuclear deterrent’.

It is difficult for me to conceive of a situation in which nuclear weapons are used either as ‘first strike’ by the west, or solely in accordance with Article 5 commitments, inviting devastating response from the target country. Which is why I suspect Putin considers NATO weak, and Article 5 flakey.

Is your understanding different?
By kanga
I'd be surprised if anyone authoritatively conversant with current UK nuclear policies, procedures or mechanisms would discuss them in a public Forum. However, it is known (from former PMs) that the 'last resort' letters are the first thing written (by hand) by an incoming PM on his return to No 10, under supervision and at insistence of Cabinet Secretary (who, however, does not see the contents). They are to be used by submarine commander only if it is clear to him and his deputy that UK has been destroyed; during Cold War one form of such evidence was said to be absence of the 'Today' programme from R4 Long Wave!

I've not seen it suggested that it is only on the basis of such Last Resort instructions that Trident(s) would be launched. It seems safe to assume that they could also be launched on receipt of specific (reliably authenticated!) orders, in which PM or current nominated deputy would play a part.
MikeB liked this
By A4 Pacific
I've not seen it suggested that it is only on the basis of such Last Resort instructions that Trident(s) would be launched. It seems safe to assume that they could also be launched on receipt of specific (reliably authenticated!) orders, in which PM or current nominated deputy would play a part.

Yes the PM, cosily partying in his nuclear bunker in North London, may survive the first attack of nuclear Armageddon. Nobody suggested otherwise.

So I’d say that’s “safe to assume.” :roll:
By kanga
Another brave Russian

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61515365

"Ukraine war: One Russian's anti-war protest on the side of his shopping centre"

:thumright:
johnm, StratoTramp, Cowshed and 2 others liked this
By skydriller
Im trying to figure out whats funny/happy about a small sad rectangle in the middle of a big grey rectangle... :?
By Bert Presley
kanga wrote:it is known (from former PMs) that the 'last resort' letters are the first thing written (by hand) by an incoming PM on his return to No 10

Written by hand eh?

Sometime later on one of Her Majesty's submarines...

'I say old boy, what do you think that says? What's that word?'

'Looks like 'Moscow' to me'

'No, not that word, this one. Does that say 'obliterate'? Or is it 'obligate'?

'Obligate, I think. Yes, that's it. Obligate Moscow.'

'OK, that's settled. Obligate. Now, what's this word here then?'
kanga liked this
By eltonioni
skydriller wrote:Im trying to figure out whats funny/happy about a small sad rectangle in the middle of a big grey rectangle... :?

Surely weddings are joyous days and if the couple can be happy the very least we can do is to share a little happiness for them. :thumleft:

In other news;
Russia has just barred 963 US politicians. Three of them are dead.
By A4 Pacific
In other ‘other news’ I read the Germans are providing “Cheetah” (Flakpanzer Gepard) which was phased out of use in Germany in 2010. They are sending 15 of them. To arrive in…..

July! :roll:

They are trying really hard not to upset Comrade Putin!
By skydriller
eltonioni wrote:Surely weddings are joyous days and if the couple can be happy the very least we can do is to share a little happiness for them.

Ah, so that is what was in the big grey box then...

A4 Pacific wrote:In other ‘other news’ I read the Germans are providing “Cheetah” (Flakpanzer Gepard) which was phased out of use in Germany in 2010. They are sending 15 of them. To arrive in…..

July! :roll:

They are trying really hard not to upset Comrade Putin!

Its mid May... How long do you think it takes to make a 70s tank design, with the electronics upgraded in the late90s & 00s, thats been sat in a shed for 10 years work properly again...?

Im no apologist for the whole of the EU continuing to buy Energy from Russia, but this one sounds about right. And if Russia is the threat to the rest of Europe many say, and if there is but one country between you and them, you dont give away the in service gear you might need to defend yourself 6 months down the line...

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this
By eltonioni
@skydriller Ah, you're still having forum update issues - didn't realise. Link to the wedding in question: http://tiny.cc/c5vruz

On the Gepards didn't a German maintenance outfit with a stockpile offer dozens of them right at the start of the war but the German gov' refused to release them? Sending 15 in the summer seems a bit poor but I suppose that's to be expected based on everything we've seen so far from them. Perhaps VW are working on something to supply UKR a modified VW pickup with long range water pistol platform on 0% finance over 4 years with balloon payment at the end.

Compared to the plethora of man-portable missiles already in use, aren't tracked vehicle AA guns a bit of a sitting duck anyway? That said, the current opportunity seems to be shore to ship missiles if starvation isn't going to become Putin's latest weapon of mass destruction.
/armchairgeneral