A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By OCB
4 days before the May 9th "parade".

As a Scots Catholic with a fair wedge of Irish connections - "parade season" (aka "marching season") was always something "highly anticipated".

I'd never have thought I'd be so transfixed on what's going to happen on May 9th for a parade....
StratoTramp liked this
By MikeB
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Unconfirmed at present. Per twitter, Ukraine claimed they hit Admiral Makarov, but Russia denied it. Video of frigate on fire posted, but majority view is its likely fake. Similarly, Russian picture of vessel in Sevastopol 'proving' she was safe turns out to be old photo as it includes vessel that was scrapped last year.
Charles Hunt liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Misinformation is becoming a significant weapon in both war and peace I suppose it’s the next generation of propaganda in essence
By Rob P
MikeB wrote:
> another
> capital warship being redeployed to a special underwater operation.

Point of order!

Can a 4,000 ton frigate actually be called a Capital Ship?

Rob P
By Sooty25
Rob P wrote:
> MikeB wrote:
> > another
> > capital warship being redeployed to a special underwater operation.
>
> Point of order!
>
> Can a 4,000 ton frigate actually be called a Capital Ship?
>
> Rob P

In Russian Navy terms, no, but in Black Sea fleet terms alone, it would be. It is one of the largest class of vessels in the Black Sea.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sea_Fleet
By eltonioni
Phew. 500' rule does not apply.

As stunning as it all is, these images make killing seem no different to a video game. At least we the public get the opportunity for a bit more understanding than our forebears sat at home, although an awful lot more of us would have been on the giving and receiving end of the killing.
By Charles Hunt
Indeed.

On the one hand I would be delighted at the confirmed sinking of a Russian, er, biggish ship, but on the other horrified at the loss of life.

The guilty party sits alone in the Kremlin.
By Miscellaneous
Charles Hunt wrote:
> The guilty party sits alone in the Kremlin.

I'm not so sure, Charles. He's not the one committing the atrocities on the ground.

I fear this is going to go down in history as up there with Nazism. :(
By OCB
Well, the much anticipated May 9th Russian Parade came and went - so many parallels with reality, past and present.

Like so many things “Russian” just now, it was I guess a bit over-hyped by Western media…although I’m sure Putin had been having wet dreams for 20 years about his glorious victory and Russian May 9th Parade in Kiev…but ah, diddums - Kiev is still Kyiv.

I was avidly keeping up to date on a couple of well trusted Twitter feeds on what was going on during the parade, when one said the fly-past had been “cancelled due to weather”

I sat up of course!

Even before I headed over to my nearest source of WX, I saw someone else had posted the METAR. Not ideal, but not “call it off” weather either.

Me thinks Putin was (rightly) worried that some Western plane-swatters were nearby, and relishing the chance of taking out low/slow targets flying in a straight line over a pre-determined path :lol:
Flyin'Dutch', eltonioni liked this