A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By Loco parentis
What is your opinion if push comes to shove ? Maybe just brinkmanship but it is looking mighty close. Should we, could we, as part of a joint effort, support the Ukraine militarily ? Or, will we be witness to an updated version of 1930s appeasement ?
By lobstaboy
No, not political in the slightest. No, definitely not.
(I've no idea about the Ukraine, except to say that I used to work with some academics from Kiev who were absolutely lovely people).
By OCB
Look at the supply lines.

Non-starter, unless a short-sharp WWIII is on the cards.

A “coalition of the willing” to get involved in the same type of non-conventional tactics could sufficiently provoke the Bear into a strategic mistake, but that really is playing with fire (which autocorrect replaced with “dire”)
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Putin has told Lukaschenko to stop threatening with the gas supply; people forget that Europe needs gas to keep warm but that Putin needs hard currency to stay alive.

Lukaschenko's troops have been moving refugees from the border to warehouses to look after them rather than let them freeze to death on the border.

Poland knows that if they let them in they will get stuck with them as there is very limited political appetite for a reprise of the 2015 open the borders programme as that what saw 1M Syrians to settle in Germany.

No doubt money will change hands, some will end up in Belarus, some in Russia, some in the EU and that will be it.

The EU/Nato cannot afford a war for political reasons. Lukaschenko and Putin not for financial reasons.

Some more posturing over the next few weeks and the refugees will be forgotten by the MSM and most people.
MikeB, Spooky liked this
By eltonioni
Park 100k NATO troops in Ukraine and a carrier flotilla in the Black Sea, move on and forget about it for a decade or so.

... and the Baltic.

Then Putin will be dead and his juniors won't care about his Cold War obsession so we can all move on.
By OCB
eltonioni wrote:Park 100k NATO troops in Ukraine and a carrier flotilla in the Black Sea, move on and forget about it for a decade or so.

... and the Baltic.

Then Putin will be dead and his juniors won't care about his Cold War obsession so we can all move on.

If there was any historical symmetry- there would also be ground crew (and some flight crew who were on “training missions”) stationed on the front line. A strike that led to a NATO casualty would be considered an act of war.

Well, that’s how I read the whole SE Asia thing from the 60s etc…
eltonioni and 1 others liked this
By Fellsteruk
A4 Pacific wrote:What is my opinion?

It all hangs on what Sleepy Joe decides.

I’m not holding my breath!

You mean what sleepy Joe is told to say…. :)

He’s closer to the 80’s Mr dead comic act than anything else
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Putin has told Lukaschenko to stop threatening with the gas supply; people forget that Europe needs gas to keep warm but that Putin needs hard currency to stay alive.

Lukaschenko's troops have been moving refugees from the border to warehouses to look after them rather than let them freeze to death on the border.

Poland knows that if they let them in they will get stuck with them as there is very limited political appetite for a reprise of the 2015 open the borders programme as that what saw 1M Syrians to settle in Germany.

No doubt money will change hands, some will end up in Belarus, some in Russia, some in the EU and that will be it.

The EU/Nato cannot afford a war for political reasons. Lukaschenko and Putin not for financial reasons.

Some more posturing over the next few weeks and the refugees will be forgotten by the MSM and most people.

FD,

I think the OP is raising a different matter, not that these things are totally unrelated in the big picture of things.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ins-plan-b
By ROG
So it will all end with the human race destroying itself with a war -or suffering from drowning or heatstroke.. In the future-the latest species will ask wonder what happened to the humans.--somewhat similar to us asking what killed off the dinosaurs.
By TopCat
ROG wrote:So it will all end with the human race destroying itself with a war -or suffering from drowning or heatstroke.. In the future-the latest species will ask wonder what happened to the humans.--somewhat similar to us asking what killed off the dinosaurs.

With any luck the Vogons will be along shortly. I just hope it's quick.
Supercat, Awful Charlie liked this
By johnm
The tragedy is that the demise of homo sapiens is likely to be self inflicted when the species has the capability to manage its environment properly but won't :(
TopCat liked this