A new trial forum for political discussions. Largely unmoderated, so whilst discussing politics is fine, personal abuse isn't. So please keep it civil.
As with other forums the posts to do not reflect the view of the FLYER team.
By eltonioni
OCB wrote:
eltonioni wrote:NATO should admit Ukraine tomorrow morning by emergency resolution. Game over Vlad.

I’d suggest to wait for the inevitable Game over Vlad, and during the mourning period- quietly bring Ukraine into NATO.

For once, NATO can play a long game and “win”.

That's definitely preferable. You have to wonder what's going to happen when he does cark it and whether all his very wealthy puppets will just slip nicely into established worldwide commercial habits or if there's some other Putin style character who's got the military at his back. There must be an awful lot of vested interests with skeletons to keep hidden - metaphorical and real ones!
By OCB
eltonioni wrote:
OCB wrote:
eltonioni wrote:NATO should admit Ukraine tomorrow morning by emergency resolution. Game over Vlad.

I’d suggest to wait for the inevitable Game over Vlad, and during the mourning period- quietly bring Ukraine into NATO.

For once, NATO can play a long game and “win”.

That's definitely preferable. You have to wonder what's going to happen when he does cark it and whether all his very wealthy puppets will just slip nicely into established worldwide commercial habits or if there's some other Putin style character who's got the military at his back. There must be an awful lot of vested interests with skeletons to keep hidden - metaphorical and real ones!

Just my tuppence worth, but I reckon yer auld man Putin is on his last legs, “putin” on a show - and having a last throw of the dice.

Somehow he thinks that Ukraine will fall back into the Soviet (ahem, i mean “Russian”) wobbly circle of influence.

In nearly 20 years of working with Ukrainians, I’ve rarely heard them be enthusiastic about getting into bed with Putin.
eltonioni liked this
By kanga
Major cyber attack on Ukrainian government agencies, just after US/Russia talks end:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59992531

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59985589
StratoTramp liked this
By OCB
Loco parentis wrote:
Charles Hunt wrote:Assuming tanks will be involved do we have a stock of PIATs we can offer?

Ve haf nicht PIAT but ve haf Panzerfaust

Even the earliest spuds are nearly 3 months away. What are they meant to do before then? Chuck dirty snowballs?
By eltonioni
CloudHound wrote:Tobias Elwood MP on telly tonight (17/1) painting a credible but deeply depressing screenplay.

Look out for freezing temperatures for the right conditions to start the war.

I'm officially baffled.

Fighting season is spring to the end of summer, before the ground turns to mud and everything grinds to a messy, bloody halt with people and machinery stuck and going nowhere. Ukraine isn't especially cold in the winter, certainly not permafrost cold. Surely tanks, trucks and boots will quickly mash up the ground in short order without any assistance from artillery or bombs?

Is there a credible explanation of this received wisdom about frozen ground that's doing the rounds because it doesn't sound right to me.
By kanga
Charles Hunt wrote::(

Maybe Dorries is right and the BBC does need a kick up the derriere.

:scratch: :?:

BBC World Service, BBC UK radio news and BBC news website have all given the Ukraine situation extensive (and, as far as I can tell with some pertinent language and history knowledge, accurate and balanced) coverage ..

[I watch BBC (and ITV) TV news only for regional news bulletins, as all TV bulletins are (probably inevitably) skewed to material of which there is footage - of which there is little independent and corroborated in this case - and are also pressed for time]
Newfy liked this