For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
Paypal is a wondrous thing

Rob P

Full Disclosure: Rob P holds a position in the company mentioned above.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Boxkite
Sabre rattling of course, as mentioned by the OP.
Amazon could simply add a surcharge for Visa credit cards (no problem for other companies - Ryanair etc), but that wouldn't have the same PR effect, and may even backfire.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
One overly dominant player picking on another overly dominant player - I don't know who to sympathise with.

Nice tactic though - no doubt many people will update their Amazon account with another card, hurting Visa, but then Amazon won't actually follow through with the change, and won't hurt Amazon.

Boxkite wrote:
Amazon could simply add a surcharge for Visa credit cards

I thought surcharges were banned in the UK now?
By johnm
The EU regulations we brought into UK law did indeed prohibit surcharges on credit or debit card payments. There have been restrictions since 2012. It started by banning surcharges that exceeded the cost to the retailer of accepting cards, but that didn't stop surcharges altogether so it was updated and the UK included Paypal IIRC.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Well, this lunchtime we took advantage of the £40 credit offer by applying for credit cards. £80 earned over lunch is not to be sniffed at. :D

We both received an instant £500 spend allowance whilst waiting for the card to arrive. Interestingly, I got a credit limit of £600 and SWMBO a credit limit of £2700. I wonder if this reflects our respective spending habits on Amazon? :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
Miscellaneous wrote:Regardless of authenticity I will not be registering a debit card with Amazon (or any other online retailer). :D

Miscellaneous wrote:Well, this lunchtime we took advantage of the £40 credit offer by applying for credit cards.

It is amazing how principles can be ignored for £40 ...
Miscellaneous liked this
@Colonel Panic what principles would that be then? :?

EDIT:
Ah, did you read my posts as contradictory? I stand by my initial post, I will not register a debit card with Amazon. Simply due to the increased risk of using debit cards. As far as applying for their credit card, if I'm going to buy from them then why not take their £40. For years I have ignored the offers. At £40 (times 2), why wouldn't you? :D
Last edited by Miscellaneous on Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
Boxkite wrote:Sabre rattling of course, as mentioned by the OP.
Amazon could simply add a surcharge for Visa credit cards (no problem for other companies - Ryanair etc), but that wouldn't have the same PR effect, and may even backfire.

Surcharges by merchants for the use of CC not longer allowed IIRC.
johnm, Boxkite liked this
By Sooty25
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Boxkite wrote:Sabre rattling of course, as mentioned by the OP.

Surcharges by merchants for the use of CC not longer allowed IIRC.

You are correct.

And the charges I suffer when an individual uses a Luxembourg registered corporate card are "eye-watering"!
Pending some end to the Visa / Amazon handbag session, I simply requested a non-Visa credit card from my bank (Lloyds).

Although I have a Lloyds Visa debit card, I won't register that with Amazon for the reasons people have stated.
Miscellaneous wrote:Ah, did you read my posts as contradictory?

I did, yes, so apologies if I got that wrong.

But by applying for a card (and presumably using it, but again I could be wrong!), not only will Amazon have it on file, they will also be tracking your non-Amazon purchases.

I'm not sure I would want to muddy my credit rating file for a one off £40.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this