For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:But you can't use a UK debit card in The Land of The Bizarre Banking System, aka The Netherlands, so the fee rate is immaterial :wink:

Just ensure you have a well mannered and friendly mate who has one.

BTW it is not a problem to use a EU issued debit card in any other EU country so not sure why UK debit cards don't work 'abroad' (FTAOD this was also the case pre 1/1/2021)

I can use a UK issued debit card at ATMs in the rest of the EU but not in shops.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:Same story as with roaming charges outside of the UK, no longer regulated.

That's no longer regulated by laws issued from Brussels (or Strasbourg on Thursdays), but unless we see some cartels/collusion they will be governed by market forces. The genie is out of the bottle.

Rob P
Last edited by Rob P on Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
StratoTramp, Supercat liked this
By skydriller
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:But you can't use a UK debit card in The Land of The Bizarre Banking System, aka The Netherlands, so the fee rate is immaterial :wink:

Just ensure you have a well mannered and friendly mate who has one.

BTW it is not a problem to use a EU issued debit card in any other EU country so not sure why UK debit cards don't work 'abroad' (FTAOD this was also the case pre 1/1/2021)

I can use a UK issued debit card at ATMs in the rest of the EU but not in shops.

My GF/Partner has a German ING debit card which I can assure you only works around 50% of the time in France... pretty much only when the chip/pin is not required AND they are prepared to accept the "visa" bit...

I think you will find its the "visa" bit that is working...
By skydriller
Thats interesting.

We've had numerous interactions with ING and they pretty much say its a French issue... but hey, its a backup card wrt primary credit cards, so "gallic shrug"... The main reason we keep it is that in Germany so many places still dont accept credit cards, only debit cards - and the last tine we were in Germany, my French cards werent accepted unless Visa was accepted...
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock

If it says it will accept Visa it will accept Visa, no matter where it is issued. I had no issues at all last time I was there.

The Chipknip system, which used to cause headaches, ended in 2015.
By Flyin'Dutch'
Typical.......

:D

An issue with the French banks is that all outlets are either independent of the main brand (or small clusters of a locality) even though they may have a national brand.

The situation in the NL is very much like in the UK (i.e. all outlets are branches of the main brand) apart from Rabo-Bank.

In Germany it is a bit of a mix, some are branches of the main Bank (Deutsche Bank/Commerzbank) others are clusters of independents with an cooperative structure (Volksbank/Sparkasse etc)

But none as fragmented as les français where you cannot pay in money in a branch unless it is your own branch or one of the same cluster (at least that was my experience) when I had a french account.
By OCB
So, to recap:
Governments can’t be trusted to be honest brokers.

Check.

Long term players in the credit card business can’t be trusted either.

Check.

The monopolist online vendors can’t be trusted.

Check.

Putting it like that, it kinda sounds like a good argument for adopting some sort of crypto-currency…
By johnm
The only difference between card based currency and cryptocurrency is that cryptocurrency produces as much CO2 as a small country
By OCB
johnm wrote:The only difference between card based currency and cryptocurrency is that cryptocurrency produces as much CO2 as a small country

You probably want to check your references there me auld mukka.

Yes - many crypto currencies are environmental disasters, and quite right for calling that out - although without the context of explaining why they are worse than the existing “fiat” currency systems, it sounds like you’ve not thought out your riposte.

If it takes Visa 4.5% of an incredibly simple online banking transaction that takes picoseconds, and are cross checked and verification that takes microseconds- then I honestly don’t blame Amazon for kicking off.
By johnm
Visa, MasterCard etc, are not angels nor is anyone else in the finance industry nor are cryptocurrencies

Banks are just money retailers and like any other retailer the object is to buy cheap and sell expensive while pretending to sell cheap :D Banks can actually buy for nothing since they can create money from thin air but create rather less CO2 in that process than cryptocurrency does