For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By OCB
If I were to set up a cryptographic communication system, it would be a single use rotating key cypher system, with at least a 1024 bit key.

Kinda like wot our little Austrian’s friend had in place for his navy and subs etc, and also his radar communication systems.

Given the motivation and resources, most encryption will be cracked.

That, of course, is where steganography comes in - and the smarter amongst you will realise you can layer steg on top and underneath cryptography.

The most fun part of the research world just now might be in quantum crypto - although I guess real money is being spent in cracking the crypto-currency chains…
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
OCB wrote:If I were to set up a cryptographic communication system, it would be a single use rotating key cypher system, with at least a 1024 bit key.

A single-use rotating system? I'd like to see that. Paraphrasing Jaws, we're going to need a bigger Feistel network :D
By kanga
OCB wrote:... I have the luxury that my professional life overlaps with cyber-security, .., “be careful out there”…..

It's an old truism, none the less true for that, that the weakest link in any security system is the human being. There was a timely (Armistice Day) reminder of this yesterday:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-63594671

"World War Two: Plaque unveiled for codebreaker John Herivel"

<Bletchley Park nerd :oops: >

'Herivelismus' relied on the possibility (which turned out to be likelihood) that a busy Wehrmacht/Luftwaffe* Enigma operator with lots of messages to send would take a lazy shortcut; a possibility of which John Herivel suddenly thought relatively early in the War and thought it worth testing. It saved a lot of effort even once the Bombes were available and plentiful.

Incidentally, one of several Ulstermen among the Bletchley Park 'greats'

</>

*Kriegsmarine procedures with the same hardware were much stricter, with less operator choice in message set-up.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I would have thought that so-called password manager sites where every single password of mine is stored would be a constant prime and valuable target for every hacker and spotty youth up in their bedroom.

And they’ll get cracked in the end…,,,
By Colonel Panic
I couldn't function without 1Password; every website has its own unique 30 character password (& unique username) which I haven't a clue what it is; the only passwords that I have to remember are my 1Password master password and my computer a/c login. Both of which are attached to my Will at the solicitors in case I forget them.

#Bliss
Flyin'Dutch' liked this