For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Rob P
T&T debacle?

I blame the FLYER Forum.

We were all set to knock up a bespoke British system until the brand victims here said "Don't do this. The US and in particular Apple are developing something that will be wonderful like all things Apple, we MUST go with this instead." And the idiots in charge listened.

Hah!

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The really annoying thing is that we already had an effective local system that could easily have been scaled up for relative peanuts but we had to reinvent the wheel and make it square :roll:
kanga liked this
By eltonioni
Hmm, slightly unexpected. For the time being, the Germans seem to be standing behind EU regs for separation of infrastructure / supply. Watch this space! Maybe watch the space at the Ukrainian / Polish borders too.

German agency suspends certification for Nord Stream 2 pipeline
The controversial gas pipeline connecting Germany and Russia has been completed — but German officials have now blocked its certification process.

The subsidiary set to operate the German part of Nord Stream 2 does not meet the conditions to be an "independent transmissions operator," a German regulator said on Tuesday.

It could be certified only "if that operator was organized in a legal form under German law," Germany's Federal Network Agency said.

The certification would stay suspended "until the main assets and human resources have been transferred to the subsidiary," the officials added.

https://www.dw.com/en/german-agency-sus ... a-59833502
By LowNSlow1
FD the point is that it was only the UK that put a cost on the Test & Trace system. Countries eg Germany have only published the costs of the tracking app as the cost of the testing is buried in the records of the various regional health authorities.

I'm reasonably sure that the UK system was excessively expensive given the centralised nature of the NHS organisation but I'm also very sure that every country that can minimise their reported T&T costs will do so!
https://fullfact.org/online/germany-has-spent-far-more-than-48m-on-test-and-trace/

Anyhoo, back to gas. I never realised that there were so many power generation sites in the UK. There are a total of 402 ranging in capacity from the Drax Biomass station at 2,640MW to one of Ecotricity's solar sites at 0.9MW. https://gridwatch.co.uk/stations

Also renewables are not doing well today with only 30% of the 38.42GW demand being met by wind -18%, biomass - 8% and solar - 4%. Gas is providing a whopping 47% supported by nuclear at 15%.
https://gridwatch.co.uk
By LowNSlow1
A bit late now to be obstructing opening Nordstream2 isn't it given Europe's heavy dependency on Russian gas?Shame that Gazprom aren't living up to their promises to increase supply. Quelle surprise! Hopefully the Poland/Belarus border problems will be scaled down and the gas will flow otherwise we are in for a hot winter in one respect and a freezing cold one in another.

From Bloomberg:

Europe’s eastern front is a fresh source of tension as a Russian military build-up near the Ukrainian border raises alarm. The U.S. and EU are discussing potential responses if Russian President Vladimir Putin takes military action against Ukraine, including fresh sanctions on Moscow and further security assistance for Kyiv. At the same time, Europe’s gas woes haven’t lessened with prices still very high and little prospect of relief in sight. Despite Putin’s pledge of extra gas for Europe, Gazprom allocated no advance pipeline space for December for flows sent through Belarus and Poland toward Germany. It also didn’t book any of the additional pipeline capacity offered at the border with Ukraine. Meanwhile, EU foreign ministers gave themselves new powers to sanction those involved in orchestrating flows of migrants to the Poland-Belarus border.
By StratoTramp
@eltonioni

Not sure what the logo change is about but did you see shell HQ moved to Britain.

Dutch government called it an "unwelcome surprise"

I think: Suckers! :P

I also wish years back I bought rdsa shares rather than BP. :roll: the director is a ****. Modern version of Ratner.

I'm a sucker too.
By Flyin'Dutch'
LowNSlow1 wrote:FD the point is that it was only the UK that put a cost on the Test & Trace system. Countries eg Germany have only published the costs of the tracking app as the cost of the testing is buried in the records of the various regional health authorities.

I'm reasonably sure that the UK system was excessively expensive given the centralised nature of the NHS organisation but I'm also very sure that every country that can minimise their reported T&T costs will do so!
https://fullfact.org/online/germany-has-spent-far-more-than-48m-on-test-and-trace/

The centralised nature of the NHS has zilch (nada/nothing) to do with the cost of T&T.

T&T was farmed out to a private provider.

The vaccination roll out was done by the NHS - and a success.
johnm, kanga liked this
By LowNSlow1
FD, fair point regarding the T&T being farmed out but the point about the UK's cost being easily accessible compared to that of other countries still stands.

One interesting thing I did find was that France is apparently spending a billion Euro a month on Covid testing so maybe their overall T&T costs will end up being similar to the UK's.
https://www.connexionfrance.com/French-news/France-cannot-keep-spending-1b-a-month-on-Covid-tests-leading-GP
By eltonioni
StratoTramp wrote:@eltonioni

Not sure what the logo change is about but did you see shell HQ moved to Britain.

Logo change? :whistle: :shifty:

@Flyin'Dutch' You'll not find me moaning about NHS managers per se. We need to leave you lot to get on with doing what you're supposed to be doing and what we all hope you're pretty darned good at.

In the past I've worked with plenty of clinicians when I've worked on hospitals, MECs, and assorted NHS facilities from theatres to conference centres to think that they should be let anywhere near non-medical matters. (Okay, I exaggerate for effect but you'll get the point). I still shudder at the ruses I had to pull to get doctors and medical directors to sign off corridor colour schemes, never mind the positions of towel dispensers in sluice rooms.

Medics managing stuff is something to be avoided IM(admittedly limited)E. Somehow, the more senior they get, the more irrelevant stuff they accrete into their pointless portfolio of power. Exceptions like the vaccine roll out (first time around... not so much for boosters or flu) prove the rule and it will take some heavyweight argument to convince me that the NHS could organise a pish up in a brewery. :P
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:Medics managing stuff is something to be avoided IM(admittedly limited)E. Somehow, the more senior they get, the more irrelevant stuff they accrete into their pointless portfolio of power. Exceptions like the vaccine roll out (first time around... not so much for boosters or flu) prove the rule and it will take some heavyweight argument to convince me that the NHS could organise a pish up in a brewery. :P

Go on, give us your considered view on how things should get organised......
kanga liked this
By LowNSlow1
FD, 150million a week quickly becomes billions. As I said before it's hard to establish how much each country has spent on T&T.

By the way these posts are mistakenly in the "The price of gas" thread!
By Pete L
eltonioni wrote:
Medics managing stuff is something to be avoided IM(admittedly limited)E. Somehow, the more senior they get, the more irrelevant stuff they accrete into their pointless portfolio of power.

I'd trust the medics over most of the managers I met in the NHS any day of the week. They are at least numerate, competent and hardworking.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By OCB
Since I got my Tado Smart Control system - I’ve been tracking my gas usage daily and also checking the spot and futures prices for gas here in my part of Europe.

I never really paid that much attention to the detail of my contract, or the cost breakdown etc - but blinking heck, the “transport cost” is about 50% of my bill, and of course “value added tax (ahem!) is 21%… and I go through 24k kwh per year. The actual product cost isn’t such a big part of the expense…although it clearly has tripled in price in the past few months.

Voila, back on track!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this