For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Sooty25 wrote:Or it might be you were closer to the kettle!

Quite. When I'm working from home I tend to make myself tea and coffee and have large glasses of water or squash when I eat. Sometimes my body stores up water and when it figures it doesn't need it any more, I'll be in and out of the loo all day (or night).

Sometimes the opposite happens. I was working at the customer site recently...I left Wales early, drove down, had one small cup of coffee and one cup of water when I was there, and it was when I got in to Guildford at about 10pm that I realised I hadn't had a pee since leaving Wales early that morning.
By T6Harvard
Top tip.... if drinking* within the hour before flying eat something at the same time. Soaks it up, slows passage. *Preferably tea. Water goes straight through.

Works on long hikes, too :mrgreen:
By JAFO
Paul_Sengupta wrote:Sometimes my body stores up water and when it figures it doesn't need it any more, I'll be in and out of the loo all day (or night).

T6Harvard wrote:Top tip.... if drinking* within the hour before flying eat something at the same time. Soaks it up, slows passage. *Preferably tea. Water goes straight through.

See, Paul, what we need is more cake.
T6Harvard, kanga liked this
By PeteSpencer
Never lose sight of the fact that serious prostatic disease can manifest itself in distressingly early age groups and causes bladder symptoms which are nothing to do with the amount of fluid you do or don’t drink nor the amount of cake you eat.

Joke away but if you have new ‘prostatic symptoms’ , take them seriously and seek advice from the professionals.
johnm, MikeE, Rob P and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
Wot he says ^^^^

Rob P
By PeteSpencer
CloudHound wrote:I’d ask for a blood test with PSA reading.

Google PSA and see that it is a very blunt tool not used much nowadays for screening. The NHS website on Prostatic Cancer is very helpful in this direction.

Even almost 20years ago when an acquaintance was diagnosed with Prostatic cancer I asked a Consultant urologist colleague if I should have a PSA test:

'Nah, I haven't had it done' was his reply. Good enough for me.

True, if PSA reading is off the scale it's time to act, it's the borderline raised results that do more harm than good with additional testing called for with serious side effects of their own.
Ultrasound and other imaging techniques bring a more rapid and accurate diagnosis.
By flyingearly
Thanks for all your replies. I'm pleased we've gone from 'I just need a pee' to something very serious within 22 posts!

I don't have a problem needing to pee any other time and I'm generally fine in the car; no problems there; it's really only when flying.

Before I fly, I'll always make sure to go for a pee even if I feel like I don't need one. When I was a student I'd always go a few times before we went up for a lesson: perhaps it was a touch of nerves looking back.

Good point about having something to eat though; generally the times I fly end up cutting across lunchtime or evening, so I'll tend to be flying on a relatively empty stomach.

I'll keep an eye on it but suspect it's really the discomfort of the seat angle, coupled with knowing that I can't go, that makes my brain think 'you need to go'!
TheFarmer, JAFO, PeteSpencer liked this
By Rob P
The PSA test is a long way from perfect, but establishing a baseline figure at a relatively early age does no harm at all.

PS: It's a blood test and does not involve rubber gloves or lubricant.

Rob P
By flyingearly
Rob P wrote:The PSA test is a long way from perfect, but establishing a baseline figure at a relatively early age does no harm at all.

Rob P

I'm sure much to my Doctor's relief as mine.
By lobstaboy
Rob P wrote:... does not involve rubber gloves or lubricant.

Rob P

Spoil sport!

@flyingearly another thought - does the urge to pee fade a bit once the aircraft is on the ground, or are you leaping out and having to pee next to the tailplane on the grass?
As you say, it's probably your mind playing tricks.
By Bill McCarthy
I’ve related this saga before. My GP took a blood test to check PSA levels amongst other things. The result came back at about 7 whatnots. He organised an appointment for me with a urologist down in Inverness - a five hour round trip, one and a half hour wait in the waiting area, was called up, sat down, urologist “googled” my results with a “that looks ok to me”
All that for 20 seconds in his consulting room.
The only light moment during all this was when I was waiting - an elderly man was called forward and his daughter took his arm to support his to the room. When he started walking he farted with every step he took and was “fanning” it with his free hand. I nearly emptied my bladder right there and then in laughter.
By LowNSlow1
Google "Little John Urinal" available for £5 from normal shops or £20 from aviation shops!!

My range in car or aeroplane is +/- 2 hours but I am closing in rapidly on my pension.
By PeteSpencer
Rob P wrote:The PSA test is a long way from perfect, but establishing a baseline figure at a relatively early age does no harm at all.

Rob P

I guess those folks on here in the same profession will remember their early Med school days and that feeling of awful anticipation when donning the Regents and greasing up for their very first PR exam........................... :roll:

(It was easier taking blood from a patient for the first time as we had practised many times on each other first, but not............................... :oops: )