For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By akg1486
A friend of mine availed himself of a bottle in flight. When the business was done, he had the brilliant idea of emptying it through the small window that PA28s have next to the pilot.

Top tip: Don't try that. A bit of the air passing by an open window at 100 knots tends to flow in through same window. The back seat passenger wasn't too pleased.

(While "a friend" often means "I" in this sort of stories, let me assure you it's not the case here. Nor was I, luckily, the hapless pax in the back seat.)
By Cessna571
Another “don’t do that”,

I put my hand out of that window once,

Flying along, feeling all serene, I thought “I’ll just put my hand in the airflow, like I do in the convertible car sometimes”.

I hadn’t factored that although it felt serene, I was going at 130mph.

Won’t do that again.
Last edited by Cessna571 on Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By seanxair
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
PeteSpencer wrote:
seanxair wrote:Comfort Fabric Conditioner bottles are good too. Wide aperture, a 'drip lip' and of course deep enough to preclude bruising from contact with the bottom :lol:

Boasting again, eh?

Me? I'd fall in!
By Genghis the Engineer
*This may be an unpalatable answer, but...

I'd noticed a slow increase in the frequency with which I needed to pee. Not drastic, but generally once per night, and a little more often in the day. I do tend to drink (water, tea) fairly constantly through the day, so didn't really think much of it - just getting my body changing with age.

But I was also letting my weight and fitness slip.

A year ago I got on a serious health kick, which I'm still on. So far I've lost about 12kg/2-stone, and got my fitness up from "4 hours martial arts and a few hours walking a week" to "6 hours martial arts, 30 miles cross country running" level.

And my need to pee is right back to where it was in my 20s, maybe half what it was a year ago, including virtually never needing to get up in the night any more (which has its own benefits in terms of quality of sleep of-course); no I don't think I'm drinking any less. Plenty of other things my body's handling better at the same time, some mentionable in polite society, some not - just take it that life's improved overall. BUT, prior to the health kick, there was nothing I couldn't do (apart from run more than about 2 miles), and I wasn't suffering anything I'd label "ill health" beyond a bit of mild and occasional heartburn / acid reflux (also largely gone).

For what it's worth, I did also determine through trial and error that black tea was a major contributor to my acid reflux, and switched to green tea (I never drank coffee anyhow). Whether that has had any impact upon peeing, no idea, it might have.

So it may be not so much age, and clearly I don't know you in person, as the combination of loss of fitness and gain of weight that afflicts so many of us as we stretch into middle age.

Or it may not, I'm basing this on my personal experiences only.

G
Milty liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Genghis the Engineer wrote:no I don't think I'm drinking any less

Just sweating more. :D

Genghis the Engineer wrote:For what it's worth, I did also determine through trial and error that black tea was a major contributor to my acid reflux, and switched to green tea (I never drank coffee anyhow). Whether that has had any impact upon peeing, no idea, it might have.

Tea makes me pee. Ordinary tea that is. Though not as much as the Native American who was found drowned in his tea-pee.
By Genghis the Engineer
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Genghis the Engineer wrote:no I don't think I'm drinking any less

Just sweating more. :D

True, about a litre an hour when I'm running, based upon before and after weighings, but I'm pretty certain that I drink that back on within a few hours.

G