For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
VRB_20kt wrote:Had an interesting experiment on snow a couple of winters ago. Gentle bend on a snow covered road. Applied brakes to get the ABS active and then tried to steer into the bend. The car went straight on! Off the brakes and the steering became effective once more.

I had the same thing, many years ago. It was the first time my father had bought a car with ABS, a Rover Sterling. I was driving back from my grandfather's in the snow with my mum in the car. I was going down a winding hill in the snow when I thought, "Ah, this would be a great time to try out the ABS."

So rather than just my normal braking, I pushed hard on the brake pedal. It didn't have the planned effect. The wheels locked and I found myself doing twenty something MPH, wheels locked, going straight down the hill. :shock: My main concern was that the wheels wouldn't unlock when I let off the brakes....but they did and I then carried on normally. My mum looked a bit "What was that in aid of?" so I just said, "The ABS doesn't seem to work properly in the snow."

AndyR wrote:Interestingly, a good example of the rear bumper follower on the way home from work tonight. He joined my rear bumper in traffic in Guildford and then followed me for the next 28 miles at varying speeds, barely ever further than 4 feet away. :roll: :x

Probably just as well you didn't see me in line astern that time we did those fly-pasts at the Brimpton air day then! :D A friend of mine heard someone in the audience say, "Gosh, they're close, aren't they?" :clown:
By eltonioni
Miscellaneous wrote:Some of your trips must take forever, @eltonioni. :lol:

They are going to take a bit longer in future. My first ever speeding ticket dropped through the door at the weekend.

What's that you ask? How fast?

"Recorded speed: 24mph" :doh:
By Miscellaneous
eltonioni wrote:They are going to take a bit longer in future. My first ever speeding ticket dropped through the door...

Is it not a fact such things tend to come in threes? :shock: :wink:
By Keveng
Miscellaneous wrote:
eltonioni wrote:They are going to take a bit longer in future. My first ever speeding ticket dropped through the door...

Is it not a fact such things tend to come in threes? :shock: :wink:

Hopefully that is just the points. you may get a speed awareness course which for 24 mph is a bigger insult :lol:
eltonioni liked this