For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Propwash
We have just come home from an outing to our local shopping centre/high street. Whilst out I had intended to buy our poppies as usual from the street sellers who are normally highly visible. We couldn't find a single one. Nor did any of the shops we visited have a box and collection tin on their counters as many usually do. We came home poppyless. :(

Was our experience out of the ordinary or have others also noticed an absence of collectors? If so, is that still due to the pandemic or something else?

Never had trouble buying one before.

PW
By Genghis the Engineer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I've seen a few displays on shop counters, but no collectors. I admit, I have for years made a similar large donation to Poppy Shop online as they get more money out of me, and I get to own something much nicer. This year's was the silver plated "Captain Tom Moore" poppy that has gone on a leather jacket, in whose pocket is the poppy wallet from last year, under which I'm likely to wear a duralumin one made from parts recovered from a Spitfire that saw service in the BoB I bought the year before.

What really matters is the money and the good work it does, but Mrs.G and I see no contradiction in doing that online and owning some beautiful things as a result.

G
lobstaboy, eltonioni liked this
By Propwash
I have indeed resorted to buying on line as last year. I was just a bit surprised that some type of "normality" hadn't returned this year. I suspect that unless people actually see the collecting tins they don't think about donating so this could be the second year that there will be a disappointing total collected. :(

PW
By PeteSpencer
Sainsbury's had a stall.

I made the mistake of buying a poppy made out of a lump of Spitfire or somesuch for a ridiculous sum a few years ago.

This had the effect of my not buying traditional poppies despite the fact that the 'spitfire poppy' is so minute and silver in colour that it it almost impossible to see:

So I never wear it.

Have bought a 'standard' poppy again this year................ :roll:
A4 Pacific liked this
By avtur3
There has been a poppy seller in checkout area of our local ALDI for the past few days now. There seems to be a wider choice of poppy related memorabilia than I recall seeing previously. Also glad to see that they were taking card payments because I don't carry cash (notes or coins) anymore. My preference for the last few years has been the poppy wristband.
By Flyingfemme
I think a lot of the street sellers are of an age where they choose not to get up close and personal with lots of strangers.
By Korenwolf
Made an online donation last year but do like to buy an actual poppy, so it was good to find a box at the local farm shop this year. Popped in a fiver and took a couple of plain poppies plus a spare just in case. We then went on to the country store nearby for some layers pellets for our hens and they had a box too, with a better choice of things. Mrs.K fancied a wristband, but by this time I had no change left...so instead of paying with the card as usual I used the £20 note that I had, and used the change for one of those as well. I do like one of those big poppies for the car too so I'll keep looking.
By OCB
Flyingfemme wrote:I think a lot of the street sellers are of an age where they choose not to get up close and personal with lots of strangers.

I think the world has changed so much that it’s simply neither worth the risk of harassment for those selling, nor does it serve to act as that “lest we forget” reminder.

I know from folks who look after Cadets that it’s a long time they no longer sell in uniform, even in “safe” locations like inside supermarkets.

Lest we forget has become Lets forget.
By Loco parentis
There seems to be an element of 'why make a target' for some people who would look for such; hence few street collectors. My local M & S had a table set up in the entrance with a very pleasant female member of the RAF in attendance.
By skydriller
OCB wrote:Lest we forget has become Lets forget.

I think you are way off mark here. The poppy thing isnt done here in France, but there always seems to be alot of people attend the memorial in our small town/village at 11am on the 11th across many age groups.

Regards, SD..
Flyin'Dutch', Dave W liked this
By johnm
I can understand the reticence of potential street sellers. The last 5 years seems to have somehow licensed some very unpleasant people and I'm not sure how we get them back under their stones...... :(
By Trent772
My mate struggled to find one this year, but Tatenhill had a tray and a rattle pot.

I have to take umbradge at Mr S and his carping at the Spitfire poppy. It is my dressing up and going out poppy, even though the clasp is atrocious and has had to be modified. It always drew attention at work which enabled me to explain its origin.

Today, I am wearing my lilac poppy in recognition of the animals that were lost during conflict.

I also have a standard enamel red one and a magnificent ceramic one from the London exhibition.

:thumright:
Flyingfemme, mick w liked this