For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:On the way south I pass through the small coastal village of Brora...

Brora remained important in WW2 and nearly to the end of the Cold War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brora_Y_Station
Rob P liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A few miles north of Brora, hidden in the sand dunes, are concrete shelters from WWII (sometimes used for beach parties in the late '70's /- early 80's :mrgreen: ) , and on top of the dunes are the lookout towers. There was also a building housing the Chain Home radar station. Fascinating, hidden history.
Rob P, kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
@kanga - another Admiralty radio station was situated at Bowermadden, with civilian operators. RN Bedford vans used to ply between there and the Wick radio outfit. Although long shut down, some aerials still remain. Incidentally, the Wick station was supposed to have been the first to pick up the Titanic distress signal.
kanga liked this
By Rob P
Wasn't that actually the wireless operator aboard the passenger liner RMS Carpathia?

Rob P
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
If you want to see some serious German wartime concrete head to Alderney or go on one of @Rob P tours in the Pas de Calais
By Rob P
Famous naval message sent to a signals unit in a remote bit of Scotland or possibly the Orkney Islands on December 8th 1941

Commence hostilities against Japan forthwith

Rob P
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:@kanga - another Admiralty radio station was situated at Bowermadden, ..l.

<continuing drift :oops: >

I assume that's the same site as 'CSOS Bower', also a WW2 and into Cold War originally Admiralty facility

https://her.highland.gov.uk/monument/MHG47791
By Bill McCarthy
Bowermadden, about a half mile away was part of it and the chap who ran the place lived on site. Those same (flat roof) buildings have been converted to a wood frame house kit manufacturer.
kanga liked this
By OCB
*@kanga - I can’t say I’ve ever been jaded by a war memorial, but it’s easy to become so I guess..

“ Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori”, I visited Ypres/Ieper whilst it was still going though it’s latest reconstruction (early 2k), and the salient remains for me the most depressing military historical site I’ve ever visited.

The Menin Gate is carved full of names of lads that went forth, but not a trace was found after. From afar it’s impressive, then when you get close you get to see all the names.

That’s depressing.

They are names exactly like mine, and born to families likes mine, from where I am from - but a tad over 100 years ago.

That’s the most depressing part.

*edit to say, when I was a sprog, I watched - and sometimes talked to those WWI era gents - go back and forth from either our local Church, or the local Legion bar- or both.

The two were within 20 yards of my front door…no judgement given which of the two they entered or exited, and no comment on which seemed to make them happier.
kanga liked this
By Loco parentis
In the traditions of the service, I rather hope that they made an initial visit to the pub followed by a visit for religious consolation followed by a guilt trip back to the pub.
By OCB
Loco parentis wrote:In the traditions of the service, I rather hope that they made an initial visit to the pub followed by a visit for religious consolation followed by a guilt trip back to the pub.

Actually no, the Legion bar didn’t open before the end of mid-day Mass. The Publican wasn’t overtly Catholic or Protestant or whatever , but no matter the various local religious wotzits, the bar appeared only to open “afterwards”.

Given the prevailing tensions at the time, makes sense.