For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:A 17 year old running around with an AR 15 is a champ?

That's an interesting point of view.

Bear in mind the the USA was founded by the nutcases that we didn't want here. Everything flows from there.
Flyin'Dutch', lobstaboy liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yea a boy is whatever room he is in.

I know justice isn't about sides. But who would you rather live next door to. The arsonists setting churches on fire or a naive kid who happens to be good with a gun. Apparently it malfunctioned and he had to clear a jam too.

He came out like a champ. Better off than the baying mob of adults persuing him for putting out fires.

He hasn't had justice tbh a stage president waded in and said he was guilty before the trial. How is that a thing.

The main point is misrepresentation by the media at the time. Loss of trust in institutions
By kanga
StratoTramp wrote:..

He hasn't had justice tbh a stage president waded in and said he was guilty before the trial...

IIRC, the previous President had already waded in and praised both him and those who were raising and contributing large sums for a defence far more expensive than he could have afforded for himself, in a country where the costliest lawyers (perhaps unsurprisingly) have the best outcomes for their clients regardless of apparent truth or justice :roll:
StratoTramp liked this
By StratoTramp
Not guilty all counts. A win for teenagers who put fires out, erase graffiti versus men who hit women, abuse children and set churches and petrol stations on fire.

This was despite MSNBC being banned from the courthouse for trying to dox and intimidate the jury & Evidence being hidden by the prosecution etc.

Still sure cities will burn and be looted "for justice" tonight. But in general a win against mob rule.
By StratoTramp
To be honest this is true. What was he thinking. Where were the parents etc. Best way to win a fight is not to have it.

But at the same time, they shouldn't just have to accept cities being burnt in "peaceful" protest.

In America everyone carries guns, it shouldnt be seen as a provocation unless one is pointed at you. Which is what happened to the defendant.

They were all saying they should have let the police handle it, after saying defund the police :cyclopsani: Their principles are clay.
By johnm
The BBC seem to have reported the incident and its aftermath pretty soberly but it's yet another reminder that in 2021 the right to bear arms makes as much sense as the right to arm bears [/stuckrecord]
eltonioni, lobstaboy, kanga liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Oh how I remember my initial training days in the mob in ‘61 - for riot control, form a square the width of the road (us with .303 Enfields), one bod marches out and throws out a white tape about 40ft in front of the square. Any rioter who crosses the line gets shot !
Then again in Chatham dockyard, boat in refit behind a security fence, if there was warning of a terrorist threat, we were issued with a tin hat and a wooden stick about 18” long. On seeing the terrorist with a bomb in his hand the officer of the day (armed) was instructed NOT to fire until the bomb had left his hand. Absolute shambles.
StratoTramp, MikeE liked this
By Propwash
Bill McCarthy wrote:. Absolute shambles.

And yet it must have worked because, well, you’re still with us and as far as I know we didn’t lose one of your boats to terrorist attack. Good job! :thumleft:

On a serious note about “riots”, of all the various situations I faced over a full career, including terrorist and armed threats, violent mobs were by far the worst. Anybody who has never faced one will be unable to understand how completely unpredictable they are. I am very grateful that mobile ‘phone cameras weren’t around back then because what is so often portrayed as over-reaction is usually nothing of the sort. At least the protective gear ( when officers are allowed to use it by officialdom) is much better now than it was way back. I still carry the injuries inflicted when isolated from the lines by an angry mob of unwashed anarchists over 40 years ago. One of the ring leaders is now a sitting MP. :evil:

PW

Edit to correct a mistype which reversed the meaning. :oops:
Last edited by Propwash on Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratoTramp, MikeE, kanga liked this
By johnm
I seem to remember that "the mob" was a serious problem in respect of civil disobedience......

at least in the 18th century :D
By MikeE
johnm wrote:I seem to remember that "the mob" was a serious problem in respect of civil disobedience......

Gosh, John, you must be older than you're letting on :D

Regards

Mike
johnm, StratoTramp, kanga liked this
By kanga
johnm wrote:I seem to remember that "the mob" was a serious problem in respect of civil disobedience......

<classicist nerd unwilling to be outdone in ancient attributions :oops: >

'mob' from mobile vulgus (lit: 'movable crowd'), a phrase used by the poet Statius in 1st c AD, and also by his approximate contemporary the historian Seneca. However, it is also used in a later Latin poem said to be a translation of a (now lost) 3rd c BC Greek original by Aratus of Soli ( Ἄρατος ὁ Σολεύς)

</>
johnm liked this