For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
As I was eating my cheese on toast this lunchtime it dawned on me that I no longer listen to any basic BBC channels I now mainly listen to LBC and very occasionally Radio Essex--which I believe is BBC.
Also don"t watch much on BBC TV.
Mainly watch Channel 5 . PBS And Geography.
Should BBC become a pay as you view channel.?
tr7v8 liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A sample of one is not normally considered statistically significant in decision making :D

I watch a lot of BBC 1, BBC2 some BBC4 and listen regularly to Radio 3. My only complaint is that they can't resist a degree of competition with carp commercial channels :D
kanga liked this
By Rob P
My main objection to the current state of the BBC is that "News & Current Affairs" appears to be considered the overwhelming priority of its mission, anything else being seen as candyfloss for the licence paying proles.

But instead of bringing us news, the output largely consists of opinion and speculation.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO, Flying_john and 3 others liked this
By PeteSpencer
Good to see BBC have accepted the findings of the Serota Report , as a result of which in has agreed to tone down the Left-Wing tendencies that seem to creep into many News/Current affairs programmes

I have always fiercely supported the BBC but must admit that in my dotage I no longer give a terpenny ferk about some of the lefty stuff spewed out by Laura Kuenssberg and her ilk, whose reporting memory seems incapable of going back further than ten years.

Much better stuff to be found on Netflix , Sky and the dozen or so MTV channels.......... :lol:

Peter
By Flyin'Dutch'
The left thinks the beeb is too right wing the right thinks it is too much left wing.

I think most try to find a middle way, some however indeed have turned into loudhailers for their favourite politicians with no questions, let alone challenging questions being asked.

It would be good if some new brooms would sweep cleaner, not sure the current track is going to deliver that outcome.
Colonel Panic, kanga, Newfy liked this
By Pete L
Rob P wrote:My main objection to the current state of the BBC is that "News & Current Affairs" appears to be considered the overwhelming priority of its mission, anything else being seen as candyfloss for the licence paying proles.

But instead of bringing us news, the output largely consists of opinion and speculation.

Rob P

I could cope with the opinion and speculation if it was by experts rather than some random punter grabbed off the streets of Bolton*

* random town chosen for it's relativeless closeness to Studio City.
By johnm
I think Kuenssberg is a Tory propaganda mouthpiece, so I suspect they've got it somewhere near right :-)

BBC has little choice but to follow the politically correct inclusivity path in common with other public sector or quasi public sector bodies....

Al Jazeera is pretty well balanced
Last edited by johnm on Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooty25 liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Kuenssberg’s interview technique always drives me up the bliddy wall - she insists on doing all the talking and expects the interviewee to just nod or shake their head while she pushes her agenda.
By rikur_
Pete L wrote:I could cope with the opinion and speculation if it was by experts rather than some random punter grabbed off the streets of Bolton*

An ex-BBC relative shared a similar frustration. He reckoned it was an unintended side effect of their 'balance' policy. Even if you said night would follow day, in the interests of balance, their policy required to include a comment from someone who had a different perspective, however mad it was.

Rob P wrote:But instead of bringing us news, the output largely consists of opinion and speculation.

I get irritated by the tendency to cover everything as a political story. Covid is a classic of this: the majority of the coverage has been lead by Kuenssberg and centres on whether or not Bojo is making the right decisions at the right time. There's been negligible coverage of things like progress on treatments, long Covid, etc.
ROG wrote:Should BBC become a pay as you view channel.?

I'd speculate that within a few years you'll need to enter your licence details to get iPlayer to work, and gradually the broadcast service will be trimmed back, and iPlayer become predominant, and you've effectively ended up as paid subscription as a result.
It will be interesting to see if Arqiva do indeed bother replacing the burnt out Bilsdale transmitter, or whether Teesside will lead the way in relying on streaming TV.
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By malcolmfrost
Bill McCarthy wrote:Kuenssberg’s interview technique always drives me up the bliddy wall - she insists on doing all the talking and expects the interviewee to just nod or shake their head while she pushes her agenda.

You should hear Beth Rigby's interview with Boris today!! Set my teeth on edge :lol:
By eltonioni
They might as well carry adverts since they fill the equivalent amount of time with adverts for themselves.

Plus they have an absolutely amazing archive that could and should be exploited by whacking every bit of it online everywhere on the planet for a monthly fee a la Netflix.

Both things would require employing people at the top who think commercially, not like civil servants. Hopefully, Nadine Dorris is having the same train of thought because the current situation isn't sustainable.
By Robin500
Ha the BBC. That would be the corrupt champagne sipping supercilious woke dope pinko liberal lot. For my own well being, I try to avoid watching any of their news content.
tr7v8 liked this
By johnm
Robin500 wrote:Ha the BBC. That would be the corrupt champagne sipping supercilious woke dope pinko liberal lot. For my own well being, I try to avoid watching any of their news content.

I'd have thought Question Time featured enough right wing nutters to keep the balance for you :twisted: :D
Flyin'Dutch', kanga liked this