For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I’ve got an old iPad mini 2 to run SkyDemon, and it’s basically too old to update the software on. As a result, it’s started to constantly prompt me to enter my Apple User ID and password every couple of minutes.

So, what’s the best model of iPad mini to buy that won’t do this, that’s not new, or too ridiculously expensive, and won’t start being unable to update within a year or two?
By TheFarmer
Thanks Pete. I’m assuming that wont also become obsolete in the next 12 months in terms of software updates?
By PeteSpencer
Who can tell how the apple mind works ?

However the only way to guarantee long update potential is to buy the current model.

Life’s often a series of compromises :thumleft:
By Paul_Sengupta
TheFarmer wrote:So, what’s the best model of iPad mini to buy that won’t do this, that’s not new, or too ridiculously expensive, and won’t start being unable to update within a year or two?

Samsung Tab S2 8.0!

:clown:
JAFO, Grelly, Awful Charlie and 2 others liked this
By Flyingfemme
Eventually you find that your apps refuse to update because they require a newer operating system. The only way to fight this is not to use “additional” apps. My mother makes do with my old iPad because she only uses it for email and Facetime, so no apps required. Skydemon will probably need a reasonably current OS. My current iPad is 3.5 years old and is a mini5 - performance is fine and I intend to keep it until it stops updating or performance drops to unacceptable. Reckon I will get another couple of years. It was a top of the range model though............
By JAFO
Flyingfemme wrote:Eventually you find that your apps refuse to update because they require a newer operating system...

...or to buy something which uses Android. :D
kanga liked this
By Paul_Sengupta
Here ya go, take your pick from these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=samsung+tab+s2+8.0&_sacat=0

I know a hundred quid is just change down the back of the sofa for you, so you might as well buy one to give it a go, and if you don't like it after giving it a go for a year you can pass it on to a new PPL for a song...
By Flyin'Dutch'
Putting in apple ID should stop it from asking for it. Sometimes you need to do it a few times before it accepts it. Check you are using the correct email/apple ID and password because the 'fault' message you get when you don't use the valid combo is initially, just ask for it again.

About 2 years ago I decided that 600 quid was too much for a tablet which I would only use for navigating so got an 8" Samsung thing and have to say that it is working just fine. The knobs are a bit different but you should have no problems learning that.
By Paultheparaglider
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
About 2 years ago I decided that 600 quid was too much for a tablet which I would only use for navigating so got an 8" Samsung thing and have to say that it is working just fine. The knobs are a bit different but you should have no problems learning that.

Earlier this year, I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab A from Curry's to replace a failing Nexus v1. WiFi only. 8"wxga screen. 32gb rom/ 2gb ram. 64 bit quad core processor. 5100 mah battery. £109.

Unless it has to be Apple to link to other machines, this is a great value tablet for very little money.
By Pete L
Not sure on anything on my iPad Mini 2 that needs the sign in - apart from 5 accidental texts which I will never read. A new mini would be nice, but I hate throwing stuff away that isn't actually broken.
By townleyc
My iPad mini 1 still seems to manage SD - must check if it has updates - it certainly did last time I looked.

ISTR Tim D saying that any iPad would work for SD

KE