For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TheFarmer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Thanks all. SD works ok, but I just get Apple ID sign-in requests every few minutes which is a pain. I’ve been told it’s the age of the iPad, hence the question.

I made a decision on it at the weekend and decided one device is preferable to two, and opted for a larger screen iPhone which will do both jobs absolutely fine for what I need.

:thumleft:
Flyin'Dutch', AndyR, Ridders liked this
By VRB_20kt
JAFO wrote:@TheFarmer - it's not the age of the iPad, it's the fact that it's an iPad. Beats me why people buy Apple stuff.

Maybe it’s the enjoyment of reverting to paper on warm summer days?
TheFarmer, kanga, JAFO liked this
By classgee
The new iPad mini just released is a cracker, just upgraded from an old full size iPad 3. New one is perfect cockpit size.
By Ridders
Pete L wrote:Not sure on anything on my iPad Mini 2 that needs the sign in - apart from 5 accidental texts which I will never read. A new mini would be nice, but I hate throwing stuff away that isn't actually broken.
Snap., same here.
It’s been going strong running SD since January 2013, never overheated as far as I can remember either. I have set it up on a different iCloud account (one I care nothing about) as it’s not getting software updates,
wow that’s nearly 9 years now! 8)
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28
TheFarmer wrote:Thanks all. SD works ok, but I just get Apple ID sign-in requests every few minutes which is a pain. I’ve been told it’s the age of the iPad, hence the question.

I am still using an original iPad mini (2010), updated as far as it will go (9.3.6) and also used exclusively for Skydemon. I have no Apple ID sign-in requests. It works fine, but the screen refresh is a bit slower than a newer device.

Maybe a factory reset and re-install of Skydemon?
Last edited by Tall_Guy_In_a_PA28 on Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Dodo
My ipad mini 2 still works OK for SD, or at least it did yesterday when I last used it.
By JAFO
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Another ipad mini 2 user here for SD. No problems with it.
Charges up slowly compared to modern devices.

I think it's amazing that an item which was launched 8 years ago this week isn't thought of as a modern device. What a world we inhabit.
kanga, Pete L, Nick and 1 others liked this
By kanga
JAFO wrote:..

I think it's amazing that an item which was launched 8 years ago this week isn't thought of as a modern device. What a world we inhabit.

.. especially when GA folk are using them in aircraft which some of us may consider 'modern' but which now qualify for 'vintage' waivers or reductions in landing fees at some airfields :wink:
Flyin'Dutch', JAFO liked this
By riverrock
The constant login sometimes means that apple want you to change your password - might be worth trying?

Mind you - any excuse to buy new tech... :)
By GAFlyer4Fun
JAFO wrote:
GAFlyer4Fun wrote:Another ipad mini 2 user here for SD. No problems with it.
Charges up slowly compared to modern devices.

Just an indication of how technology evolves.
I nearly used "newer" instead of "modern".... but that is also ambiguous.
For example if it was possible to make a new ipad mini 2 using exactly the same components as in the original manufacture, it would be new as in not used, but it would have old technology within it and still be slow charging etc.
By GAFlyer4Fun
riverrock wrote:...
Mind you - any excuse to buy new tech... :)

Yep buying new tech keeps people in work and helps developers get investment to move the technology forwards.

Compare that to GA development.... comparatively low number of units sold compared with years of development cost for all those fancy avionics (particularly if it is certified) does not make for rich pickings for investors that probably get more of a return from investing in the next ipad and mass market sales worldwide.