For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Y'all are talking about carp freezing weather like its a good thing... :scratch:
Explain to me how 5degC horizontal rain at 40knots in August is a good thing :?
(Edit : except possibly for @Bill McCarthy 's windmill :wink: )

Im sorry, I like the 18-22deg blue-skys days... 8)
Last edited by skydriller on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
skydriller wrote:Y'all are talking about carp freezing weather like its a good thing... :scratch:
Explain to me how 5degC horizontal rain at 40knots in August is a good thing :?

Explain to me where you read anyone was suggesting such a thing, SD. :wink:

I can, however, explain that I enjoy the change and the contrast. I marvel at the texture of the landscape being revealed as the sun lowers and the shadows lengthen. I am in awe at how the lush green landscape turns golden brown and periodically white. I enjoy the randomness of all that lies between. And then I have the joy of looking forward to the green lushness of Spring.

See, it is getting browner by the day.

I'm not all that keen on routine and sameness. :D I think, however, the greatest benefit of the change and variety is in fact an increased awareness and appreciation for how absolutely incredible life is and how fortunate we are to be experiencing it. That appreciation somehow heightens the experience of existing. :wink:

Moreover, there is nothing I can do about the changing seasons, so I may as well embrace the positives. :thumright: And as I stood at the reception this morning at 8.30 booking my car for a service, only to be told it wasn't due until 13.30, I had a Pete Spencer moment of realisation that I'd better enjoy those I have left to their fullest. :oops:

skydriller wrote:Im sorry, I like the 18-22deg blue-skys days... 8)

No need to apologise, each to their own. :thumright:

PS
Where I am it is the 22nd October, not August. :D
skydriller, T6Harvard, lobstaboy and 3 others liked this
By Propwash
I have never been a great fan of winter and hate being cold. My wife on the other hand loves snow, one of our very few points of divergence. :lol:

I do, however, derive pleasure from some aspects of winter (I take my pleasure where I can :wink: ) and enjoy roaring log fires and roasting chestnuts. Despite my preference for warm weather I wouldn’t enjoy living somewhere without real seasons, and provided I am adequately and appropriately clothed I can appreciate the beauty of winter landscapes. Walking on frost-hardened ground is one of the few outdoor compensations for having to endure winter. :D

PW
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
lobstaboy wrote:
Propwash wrote:...appropriately clothed...

PW

Indeed. My Gran used to say, "there's no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes."

There’s a banner sign to this effect over the counter of one of the climbing gear:/outfitters shops in Windermere with ‘inadequate’ substituted for ‘wrong’, :wink:
By T6Harvard
Lovely photos and description @Miscellaneous , thanks. I'd already had a snow report from Sutherland :D .

What always strikes me about Scottish Autumn is the huge variety of the greens, ambers, golds, copper, browns etc in any one patch of ground. It is obvious where the wonderful tweed cloth colours comes from, isn't it?

It is so very beautiful.

Speaking of the seasons - I have friends in Barbados, one local, one an incomer from Canada. The Canadian says she misses the change in the seasons. Tbh I could happily live there from about December to end of March :mrgreen: and get the best of both worlds.

Having been taught to swim in the North Sea :shock: I kind of edge towards the Caribbean for that nowadays :sunny: :lol:
T6Harvard wrote:Having been taught to swim in the North Sea :shock: I kind of edge towards the Caribbean for that nowadays :sunny: :lol:

I get the sentiment and indeed share it at times, however I have an underlying suspicion that as humans we hanker after what we don't have, driven by what we do. So cold days cause us to wish for warm sunshine, day after day of relentless sunshine causes many to wilt and hanker after change, I accept that doesn't apply to all, particularly @skydriller :wink: NOTE: Living and holidaying in relentless sunshine are not the same thing. :D :D

It probably won't apply to me tomorrow when I'm lying under the aeroplane changing the oil. :wink:

T6Harvard wrote:I'd already had a snow report from Sutherland

Having been in South Wales for the past week, where the beginning of the week had me sitting in the garden in the, quite hot, sun I was a little surprised to see the snow on our return as soon as we were surrounded by high ground. :D
T6Harvard, skydriller liked this
By skydriller
Miscellaneous wrote: I accept that doesn't apply to all, particularly @skydriller NOTE: Living and holidaying in relentless sunshine are not the same thing.

I think you may have hit the nail squarely on the head there @Miscellaneous . Those of you that know me, and know (or have figured out) what I do for a living, will know my lifestyle isnt really normal. Im either at my workplace 24/7, theoretically on a shift (but its not really like that as a supervisor) or I am at home, though on call to depart again, trying to relax "on holiday" while getting all the things done, that everyone else does in the evenings or on weekends, while Im briefly at home.

So I like my sunshine... :sunny: 8)

Regards, SD..
By TheFarmer
I prefer autumn and winter as seasons.

The summer is a season of long hours, stress, a lack of flying, and missing out on family time for me.

Autumn and winter have quieter skies, some of the best flying days, and frosty mornings. Personally, I love it when the clocks go back.