For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
@Loco parentis don't you prefer a non-political head of state? Seems to me that party politics causes more problems than it solves and we benefit hugely from having politicians who know that they need to bow and scrape to a titular figure that they can't shift and who will be there long after they have retired from whatever greasy status and money-making pole they are halfway up when PM.

Monarchy might be bonkers, but by god (and God?) it works.
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Loco parentis wrote:If 'they' abandoned the hereditary principle and put themselves forward for election every five years along with a host of others, similar to the Irish Republic, it would all be heading generally in the right direction. No political power of any kind would be attached - figurehead only or, Head of State if you like.

Like a mayor but for the whole country? Not floating my boat.
Rob P liked this
By PeteSpencer
I'm a dyed in the wool Monarchist:

I watched the coronation on a poxy little 9 inch b/w telly and have watched how, over the years some actions and attitudes, often to the chagrin of members (Margaret and Peter Townsend) have softened and the Monarchy has become more accessible:

Diana's deaht was a major catalyst to this, and while as in all family groups there are bad apples on the whole they are a good hard working bunch,

What the Queen has witnessed in her lifetime almost defies description.

Long may they reign, :thumleft:
tr7v8, Milty, chevvron and 5 others liked this
By Flyingfemme
The wonderful thing about Betty is that she would never have put herself up for election. The sort of people that do are not people one wants as head of state.
T6Harvard, Keveng, Milty and 11 others liked this
By Rob L
Flyingfemme wrote:The wonderful thing about Betty is that she would never have put herself up for election. The sort of people that do are not people one wants as head of state.

I've always suggested that there should be one question posed to a potential politician:

"Do you wish to become a politician?" If the answer is "yes", they should be excluded from becoming one.
rikur_, StratoTramp, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By Loco parentis
eltonioni

Yes, I did comment in an earlier post that an elected Head of State should, in my view be non political.
By JAFO
Some interesting points.

If it was an elected post and if old big ears really does believe that he has the divine right to rule then, clearly, he'd win anyway. So, after Betty shuffles off, have an election, Charlie wins every time, no change and everyone's happy.
By Rob P
Just what we need, another vote/election/referendum. We haven't had nearly enough of those.

Rob P
JAFO, townleyc liked this
By riverrock
If you were going to vote for someone, they'd be standing based on some sort of platform / reasons to vote for them, so immediately become political, even if not party political.
No thankyou.
By JAFO
No need @riverrock - Vote for me, I have the divine right to rule. No other candidates required.

Oh, and, by the way, I am in no way serious about this (or much else for that matter). :thumleft:
eltonioni liked this
By TheFarmer
JAFO wrote:@eltonioni, I agree with you that monarchy is completely ridiculous. The difficulty is finding a system that is actually in some way better than having the old lady in the sparkly hat in charge.

Too late @JAFO I can hear the sharpening of the sword from the Tower of London from here. You’re doomed, and NOT EVEN ROG CAN HELP YOU BECAUSE HIS PHONE BATTERY HAS FRIED COS HE LEFT IT CHARGING OVERNIGHT.

:D
JAFO, townleyc liked this
By CloudHound
Is anyone else troubled by Charles becoming Head of the Church having had an affair with a married woman whilst married himself?
tcinbg liked this
By seanxair
CloudHound wrote:Is anyone else troubled by Charles becoming Head of the Church having had an affair with a married woman whilst married himself?

No
kanga, JAFO, townleyc and 3 others liked this