For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By eltonioni
What are we going to do when Betty's gone?

Monarchy is a ridiculous idea in the 21st century but our wonderfully developed system it keeps greasy hands off the big levers and somehow we bumble through in quite magnificent style without needing revolution or crisis.

He might be a bit of a milksop but I reckon the following act will be just fine.

Am not yet entirely convinced about his follow on though. Seems a bit too biddable right now.
By JAFO
@eltonioni, I agree with you that monarchy is completely ridiculous. The difficulty is finding a system that is actually in some way better than having the old lady in the sparkly hat in charge.

Perhaps if we just let them carry on but stop pretending they are in some way special or even relevant to our lives then things will bob along just fine. It's been centuries since it actually mattered so I wouldn't worry about the character of whoever comes along next or even next but one.
eltonioni liked this
By Rob P
Not a comfortable thought on a day when the monarch cancels a trip to Northern Ireland on medical advice.

Rob P
eltonioni, riverrock liked this
By lobstaboy
JAFO wrote:It's been centuries since it actually mattered so I wouldn't worry about the character of whoever comes along next or even next but one.

I really wish that were true, but it isn’t. Admittedly there are more important things for the nation to worry about just now.
By Flying_john
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Treason - put them in the tower.

Oh, hang on a minute....
By Flyin'Dutch'
In the past I would have suggested the a slimmed down version a la what the Dutch have, might be the way forward, but the current Dutch incumbent is quite adept at causing division with his personal behaviour.

On balance a monarch or non constitutional president is the way forward.

But a smaller number of cling-ons is desirable.

Charles* will no doubt be a bit of a disaster but his son may be OK.

*based on past performance including promoting quackery and confirming he thinks that his royalty is divine.
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
Kate & William fairly normal. I have a mildly positive view. Though he's started with the eco-stuff now. Earth shot etc. Thought we'd exported all that virtue signalling to the states with Harry.

I guess my mildly positive view is due to the fact that they haven't really done anything I've noticed yet. When they do it will be -10 in ratings every time they say "sustainable". :lol:

Royals are a bit like children, should be seen and not heard really. :lol:

Like the Queen is a master. Going all over the place and doing great stuff. But not always saying "look at me". Best virtues are those unseen.
Flyin'Dutch', rogerb, tr7v8 and 2 others liked this
By lobstaboy
TheFarmer wrote:The British monarchy is something we should be proud of. Let’s not question its viability or existence.

;) oh you funny chap ;)
JAFO, NickS liked this
By TheFarmer
lobstaboy wrote:
TheFarmer wrote:The British monarchy is something we should be proud of. Let’s not question its viability or existence.

;) oh you funny chap ;)

?
By Loco parentis
According to Private Eye, the name has been Brenda for the last fifty years ! Musht be shum mishtake shurly.

Is there a descendant of Olly waiting in the wings ?
LapsedRinger liked this
By Flyingfemme
I thought theRAF "thing" was Aunty Betty's Flying Club?
By PeteSpencer
Wondered who Betty was for a moment: I thought those recipients of 'the shilling' referred to her as 'Brenda'. :wink:

Bolleaux: Just seen the post up there^^^^^^^.

That'll teach me to read the whole 'kin thread before posting :roll: ..........................
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By eltonioni
Loco parentis wrote:According to Private Eye, the name has been Brenda for the last fifty years !

Started badly and tailed off towards the end. :lol:
By Loco parentis
If 'they' abandoned the hereditary principle and put themselves forward for election every five years along with a host of others, similar to the Irish Republic, it would all be heading generally in the right direction. No political power of any kind would be attached - figurehead only or, Head of State if you like.