For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:Even De Gaulle stirred it up a bit when over in Canada with his “Vive le Quebec libre” speech, after which, I think, he was told to FO home.

.. by Pierre Trudeau, whom de Gaulle (~30 years older) may have regarded as a young whippersnapper (PM at 49 within 3 years of becoming MP); but could be impressively decisive eg by invoking the War Measures Act when the FLQ kidnapped and murdered a British diplomat.
By kanga
eltonioni wrote:..

Have we ever had a really duff Queen, either as Monarch or Consort?

hmm.. Mary I of England and Mary of Scots had something of a 'mixed press', as had Catherine Howard .. :roll:

[Difficult to assess Berengaria of Navarre, Richard I of England's Consort, as she never set foot in England :wink: ]
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Bill McCarthy
I have a half share in a tup with the Royal Family so at least our North Country Cheviot sheep bloodlines will have a connection for a while !
Flyin'Dutch', Pete L, kanga and 2 others liked this
By eltonioni
kanga wrote:
eltonioni wrote:..

Have we ever had a really duff Queen, either as Monarch or Consort?

hmm.. Mary I of England and Mary of Scots had something of a 'mixed press', as had Catherine Howard .. :roll:

[Difficult to assess Berengaria of Navarre, Richard I of England's Consort, as she never set foot in England :wink: ]

When I asked I had my fingers crossed behind my back with Matilda, but the gal was probably just getting by in the times and trying not to be knocked off the perch.

Overall, the nation has had a very good run with women at the top. As a small aside, Godiva appears in my family timeline - I'll take that ;) Maybe the chaps should let the ladies take the lead for a whle.
kanga liked this
By Sooty25
Loco parentis wrote:If 'they' abandoned the hereditary principle and put themselves forward for election every five years along with a host of others, similar to the Irish Republic, it would all be heading generally in the right direction. No political power of any kind would be attached - figurehead only or, Head of State if you like.

Who would you like? Sadiq Khan? No 'king way. :evil:

Too much of our fine Country has been diluted and undermined in recent years, lets leave the Monarchy as it is, it pre-dates all of us, it is not for our generations to dismantle.
By leiafee
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It’s a very silly fairystory that should be done away with.

Let Mrs Windsorshuffle off with whatever TV-ratings-improving pomp is felt needed when the time comes, since she reminds everyone of their gran enough that the peasants are fond.

Then shunt the rest of her spawn out pasture or into proper jobs.
lobstaboy, JAFO, nallen and 2 others liked this
By Rob P
It's not a perfect institution, but nobody has yet come up with a better alternative.

Rob P
Nick, kanga, Genghis the Engineer and 5 others liked this
By Sooty25
Maybe the doubters would like to suggest some non-monarchy countries as role models. Where should we start?

Our Monarch is held in high regard across a lot of the globe, many elected presidents and prime ministers don't.
Aerials, MikeE, flybymike liked this
By Propwash
leiafee wrote:It’s a very silly fairystory that should be done away with.

Let Mrs Windsorshuffle off with whatever TV-ratings-improving pomp is felt needed when the time comes, since she reminds everyone of their gran enough that the peasants are fond.

Then shunt the rest of her spawn out pasture or into proper jobs.

Jeez!

Such bitterness. Even if it doesn’t actually make sense :lol: :lol:

PW
mick w, Nick, Bill McCarthy and 4 others liked this
By Loco parentis
Our Monarchy has always been the abode of privilege. Hardly meritocratic ! That is how the hereditary principle is maintained - one in - one out; with a never ending supply of 'one in's'.

With hardly a career path between them, how have they maintained their income to the point whereby they have all become very, very wealthy?

With land, titles and money bequeathed by the resident hereditary Monarch. I offer by example, Edward the Third, and the Duchy of Lancaster given to the male first born eg. in this case Charles. Nice investment but only if you are titled by birth.

If you are looking around for ideas how to assemble an elected, meritocratic Head of State, check out the USA, Irish Republic, France, etc., there are dozens of examples or Republics from which to draw. Not all are successful, of that I'm aware but, the trend does seem to be away from the siren call of hereditary privilege and more towards Republican meritocracies.

Over the last few years we have seen a steady whittling down of entitlement and privilege in this country but, that hasn't prevented - for example, William Wales, using his capacity for generating column inches, bursting forth with his climate change advice and homilies based on an academic background of perhaps GCEs.

It is more than time for planned and considered change.
lobstaboy liked this
By Rob P
Loco parentis wrote:If you are looking around for ideas how to assemble an elected, meritocratic Head of State, check out the USA

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes I guess the USA is a very good example of what route not to take :thumleft:

You get every four years a choice between two billionaires with no guarantee that the one who gets the most votes gets elected.

Rob P
Dusty_B, Nick, Sooty25 and 3 others liked this