For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
eltonioni wrote:166 Dem. Republic of Congo 1.13
167 North Korea 1.08

Ah yes, the Democratic Republic of Congo and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea...
By Sooty25
Often wondered how they got both Democratic and Congo in that title and got away with it!
By PeteSpencer
I guess all you anti-monarchists should be thankful that at least you can freely express your opinions without risking being banged up for ever or having your hands/heads/ nuts chopped off :roll:
By PeteSpencer
Lots of stuff in Press recently about the ex king of Spain being unable to keep it in his trousers :lol:
By Pete L
Rob P wrote:I think this might be breaking protocol but I thought that I might share the exact words I said to Betty a few years back.

"'scuse me luv, can I just squeeze through here?"

I hope next time I recognise her :oops:

Rob P

Easily done - royal mufti looks like any other bunch of country folk on a day out.
Rob P, johnm liked this
By Sooty25
lobstaboy wrote:The Congo.
King Leopold II of Belgium.
Not a good advert for being run by a monarch.

There is no good way to run a central or west African state!
By Sir Morley Steven
I question the monarchy’s viability, it’s an anachronism. I cant question its existence, it undoubtedly exists. I question whether it should continue.
I am also a proud Englishman. I love that in this country we have the freedom to question the monarchy without being branded unpatriotic. :thumright:
lobstaboy, NickS liked this
By Rob P
Sir Morley Steven wrote:I question whether it should continue.

And few would question your right to do so.

Which raises the issue, is a head of state needed at all?

All other roads to putting a head is state in place appear to be worse. So are there any countries that manage successfully without one?

Rob P
By Boxkite
PeteSpencer wrote:I guess all you anti-monarchists should be thankful that at least you can freely express your opinions without risking being banged up for ever or having your hands/heads/ nuts chopped off :roll:

Wasn't always so with this family.
By JAFO
@Rob P - I think the Swiss do quite well. As I understand it, the members of their federal council just take it in turns for a year at a time and have no powers beyond that of the other council members.

Consistently appears as one of the top places to live, no war in a couple of hundred years or so.
Rob P liked this
By Propwash
JAFO wrote: I think the Swiss do quite well. . . . . {snip}
no war in a couple of hundred years or so.

But has profited very nicely from other people's wars. :roll:

PW
Sooty25, Nick liked this
By Loco parentis
Isn't that slightly intolerant? We're having a civilised discussion on the merit and worth and future shape of our Monarchy and you want to close it down !
By eltonioni
lobstaboy wrote:The Congo.
King Leopold II of Belgium.
Not a good advert for being run by a monarch.

Belgium isn't even a proper country, how could it have a proper monarchy? ;)
StratoTramp liked this