For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Bill McCarthy
There is a tradition in the RN that if a crew member has any complaint about food he takes it up with the Officer of the Day (OOD). Charles served on HMS Minerva in Chatham dockyard when I was there on Dreadnought. He was the OOD one day and it so happened that a leading hand took his supper with him to complain. When he didn’t get a satisfactory response he said that “I’m a leading hand, passed for petty officer and I want to take this to a higher authority”
Says Charles - “well, I’m a prince passed for king, how far do you bliddy want to go” !
StratoTramp, Flyingfemme, kanga and 1 others liked this
By Propwash
No. And she is not in the line of succession should anything befall Charles before he ascends the throne.

There have been unpopular monarchs before but the monarchy has survived. Too much is made of the individual when it is the institution that matters.

PW
kanga, flybymike liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
It's a shame she as she is no nonsense & straight talking! She's another one I forget funnily enough. Maybe because she isn't always pandering to the wokerarti, or trying to sell her pictures and books for her privacy.
By kanga
riverrock wrote:..
I think you meant "not the"?
Guyana took that step in 1970, less than four years after gaining independence from Britain. Trinidad and Tobago followed suit in 1976 and Dominica in 1978.

ah, thanks for correction :thumright:

I had remembered Guyana, but that is not an island; but had forgotten the other two. Should have checked. :oops:
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:... Charles .. was the OOD one day..

<drift :oops: > While Prince Andrew (as a Midshipman) was doing his fixed wing training on Bulldogs at RAF Linton-on-Ouse he took his turn being OOD of the RN Contingent, so in uniform (with sword!) in the evenings. In that capacity he once (properly!) saluted me as we passed :)
By kanga
StratoTramp wrote:.. she is no nonsense & straight talking!..

In one of her military capacities (as Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Corps of Signals, and of their Canadian counterparts) she has been known to make unpublicised welfare visits to deployed units, including some "in harm's way". :salut:

It was also in that capacity that she was reportedly very happy to accept the invitation to unveil the bust of Noor Inayat Khan, whose only official military role was as a WAAF Wireless Operator:

https://www.londonremembers.com/memoria ... -khan-bust

:thumright:
StratoTramp liked this
By eltonioni
Innit funny how it's the women who seem to understand the concept of the Crown's duties and responsibilities more than the men.

Have we ever had a really duff Queen, either as Monarch or Consort?
By Bill McCarthy
I was in the “Windies” in August ‘62 when Jamaica became independent then on to Trinidad and Tobago for theirs in the same month. Later, threats of a general strike in the then British Guyana meant we had to stand by to support the Coldstream Guards at Georgetown if it became nasty. A very good run ashore it was - especially to the Demerara sugar plantations and then on to the distillery ! After that we became mixed up in the Cuban crisis and diverted to Key West - out of the way of the Americans, if the shooting started.
The Americans seem to think that all Caribbean islands are theirs.
kanga, StratoTramp liked this
By Propwash
eltonioni wrote:Innit funny how it's the women who seem to understand the concept of the Crown's duties and responsibilities more than the men.

I think that is bit harsh on many of our kings, including our last whose dedication and sense of duty to a role he had been unexpectedly thrust into during a period of existential threat to his realm almost certainly contributed to his early grave.

Bill McCarthy wrote:The Americans seem to think that all Caribbean islands are theirs.

I have enjoyed on more than one occasion when talking to American tourists on various islands telling them to look at the head on the local currency. Because they spend $US which are widely accepted they are often amazed to discover that the head of state is the British monarch. I regard it as a form of missionary work to educate them. :lol:

PW
kanga, Dusty_B, eltonioni and 2 others liked this
By Bill McCarthy
Even De Gaulle stirred it up a bit when over in Canada with his “Vive le Quebec libre” speech, after which, I think, he was told to FO home.
By Dusty_B
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CloudHound wrote:Is anyone else troubled by Charles becoming Head of the Church having had an affair with a married woman whilst married himself?

I think you’ll find that the whole point and purpose of the CoE is that it’s Head can change his mind about his wives.
lobstaboy, JAFO, skydriller and 3 others liked this
By kanga
Bill McCarthy wrote:..
The Americans seem to think that all Caribbean islands are theirs.

Indeed. I was at the DoD when the coup and subsequent US invasion of Grenada happened

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... of_Grenada

My US colleagues generally had little or no understanding of why it was anything to do with the UK.

An ironical aftermath was that the US military seemed to want to award far more gallantry medals than there had been military personnel taking part, even remotely. Even in our corner of the organisation, which had absolutely no connexion, all 'Team Chiefs' (of whom I, unusually for a foreigner, was one) received a Memorandum inviting us to suggest nominations. One of my senior US colleagues suggested that the Reagan administration desperately wanted to portray the episode as a great US military victory after the Vietname debacle of then recent memory. :?
StratoTramp liked this
By eltonioni
Propwash wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Innit funny how it's the women who seem to understand the concept of the Crown's duties and responsibilities more than the men.

I think that is bit harsh on many of our kings, including our last whose dedication and sense of duty to a role he had been unexpectedly thrust into during a period of existential threat to his realm almost certainly contributed to his early grave.

Most definitely. I wasn't casting aspersions on kings so much as chucking glory at the women. :thumleft:
kanga, Propwash, LowNSlow1 liked this