For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:I think you might be confusing this with CPR.

I think you lot would need CPR if you tried horizontal jogging to Stayin' Alive at your age...

Anyway the heartbeat thing...it's a sort of vague thing between species. Little things which don't live long have fast heartbeats and big things which live a long time have slow ones. Someone worked out that the number of heartbeats in a lifetime were roughly the same for most species of mammal. It works out to around a billion.

http://robdunnlab.com/projects/beats-per-life/#:~:text=Studies%20have%20concluded%20that%20all,But%20there%20are%20notable%20exceptions.

Humans having 1.8 billion as worked out above show how we've extended our lifetimes from early years!

Sorry to hear that Trent.
StratoTramp liked this
By T6Harvard
So..... have a few Instructors therefore extended their lifetime due to their hearts missing a few beats now and then, or does the follow-up adrenaline surge counteract the temporary stopping? Not that I have ever induced such a medical situation. Nope, not me.
TopCat, ArthurG, Flyin'Dutch' and 1 others liked this
By StratoTramp
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
Rob P wrote:I think you might be confusing this with CPR.

I think you lot would need CPR if you tried horizontal jogging to Stayin' Alive at your age...

I was taught Nelly The Elephant? The original not the slow remix.

Had an "outdoor" course at Hemel ski slope. It's difficult to do CPR when the victim keeps sliding down the slope. Sit still!
T6Harvard liked this
By PeteSpencer
StratoTramp wrote:
I was taught Nelly The Elephant? The original not the slow remix.

Had an "outdoor" course at Hemel ski slope. It's difficult to do CPR when the victim keeps sliding down the slope. Sit still!

Simple: just stick a ski pole through his hood :roll:
T6Harvard, StratoTramp liked this
By Paultheparaglider
StratoTramp wrote:I think the extra time means more sometimes as you start having to really battle the mental side on top of physical.

I think you have nailed it here. The mental side is the hardest bit of it. I remember when I cycled from Lands End to John O Groats. It was fun at first, but after a while it became a bit of a chore. I knew, though, that the first mile of the day was always the hardest, and then I would just get into the swing of it. The first mile, though, was a big mental exercise.

But, not just in respect of the long distance stuff. One of the things I personally find the hardest to deal with as I get older is that every year I get slower. It can be disheartening to know that no matter how much effort you put into it, each year the speeds are likely to be down on the previous year. I deal with this myself by setting my self targets at the start of the year for the distance I will do on each type of aerobic exercise, and try to tell myself that you can't beat the years, but you can slow down the degradation. I set targets that mean I have to exercise regularly to meet them, and that works for me to motivate me to get started when I'm tempted to not bother.

I'm completely convinced it is worth the effort to exercise regularly. I have found the benefits to be considerable, not just physically but also mentally.
Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard, seanxair and 4 others liked this
By Rob P
Paultheparaglider wrote:... you can't beat the years, but you can slow down the degradation.

I'm completely convinced it is worth the effort to exercise regularly. I have found the benefits to be considerable, not just physically but also mentally.

That about sums it up :thumleft:

Rob P
AndyR liked this
By Loco parentis
I apologise if the following strains credulity. A person I know who works as a personal trainer, and knows of my occasional naivety, commented that there are other workouts in addition to 'horizontal jogging' one of which is known, perhaps colloquially, as a 'knee trembler'.

She says that the benefit from this practise which can be experienced by two or more people at the same time is considerable and much weight loss can be achieved if consistently practiced. The elderly particularly benefit, provided she said that fairly vigorous movement during the exercise is accompanied by the gentle rhythms of the Dame Vera Lynn version of 'There'll be Bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover '.
By Loco parentis
FD
I'm slightly mystified. The personal trainer that I spoke to was aware that the wrong construction could be applied but, she also said that innuendo, like beauty, would be in the eye of the beholder. She further explained that when she teaches yoga, the various exercise positions are described for example, by name as 'Sitting Blossom' or 'Lotus Flower' and so on, so establishing some kind of rapport with more anarchic Western descriptions of exercise poses.
By T6Harvard
I regularly visit an elderly friend in a care home. They have musical afternoons and Dame Vera features often. I am now dreading the next time they all sing about bluebirds.
By lobstaboy
Loco parentis wrote:The elderly particularly benefit, provided she said that fairly vigorous movement during the exercise is accompanied by the gentle rhythms of the Dame Vera Lynn version of 'There'll be Bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover '.

I'm less worried about innuendo than I am this lazy and gratuitous assumption that Vera Lynn has any meaning for "the elderly". You see, hear and read this too often.
It was recorded in 1941. You'd have to be well into your 90s at least to have any memory of it first time round. And more like 100.
And wtf are bluebirds doing in Kent, anyway?
T6Harvard liked this
By Rob P
T6Harvard wrote:I regularly visit an elderly friend in a care home. They have musical afternoons and Dame Vera features often.

The realisation that the average eighty year old care home denizen will have been a fan of the Rolling Stones rather than Vera is salutary.

Rob P
T6Harvard liked this
By lobstaboy
Rob P wrote:
T6Harvard wrote:I regularly visit an elderly friend in a care home. They have musical afternoons and Dame Vera features often.

The realisation that the average eighty year old care home denizen will have been a fan of the Rolling Stones rather than Vera is salutary.

Rob P

My point exactly. I worry that in 30 years time I may be incarcerated in a care home and find they are still playing Vera Lynn. Maybe they'll feel that The Clash would be inappropriate somehow...
T6Harvard liked this
By eltonioni
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I don't think I am particular prudish, although I had to search for a couple of the expressions on here, but do we really have to carry on with puerile references?

All those years in Ol' Blighty but still not quite integrated. :lol: