For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Propwash
JAFO wrote:I never thought that I was the sort of person who could get up early in the morning and exercise.

I was right.

Back in the day when I had to think of regular fitness tests (in particular the hated bleep test), there was a strong incentive to follow a training regime. As soon as I retired I stopped it, which might have been a mistake because I always intended to restart it (if a little toned down) after a few months break. I found that very hard to do.

Fortunately both my wife and I love long walks and we have a great variety of them within a short distance of home. That pretty much is my fitness regime now. Still here though so it must be doing something. :wink:

PW
JAFO, Rob L liked this
By Rob P
StratoTramp wrote: Space to think / fresh air. Bet you secretly enjoyed the drizzle - it's just not fashionable to say

Absolutely so. I had a friend who was between jobs with me for the walks. Each had a pub at the midway point. We walked, we talked bollox, we ate and drank well. It was a completely spirit lifting experience.

No force on earth would get me into a gym for treadmills and stationary bikes, but walking The Ouse, or cycling around Thetford Forest are both hugely rewarding and don't feel to be pointless flogging in any way.

Rob P
Nick, johnm, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A timely reminder about weight as I need to seriously address it before my first medical.
I have a reasonably active job and we both love walking but I have eaten more calories than I have burnt off for too long. It's a bad thing.

[Note to self - if we have another lockdown Do Not Bake]
tr7v8 liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
As most of you know, the majority of my clinical work is now in Germanskiland and in general the Germans profess to love doing 'sport', despite professing to doing 'a lot of it' there is not always a correlation to those statements and obvious observations of body parameters.

Anyway, there weekend antics usually give rise to the a steady stream of minor injuries presenting to the clinic on Mondays.

With every one of those I think, with some glee, another injury I will never get.

I know, I am bad.
kanga, lobstaboy, Flyingfemme and 1 others liked this
By StratoTramp
Paultheparaglider wrote:I've never done anything so draining in my life. The team I was in back in the early nineties completed the trail in a bit over 16 hours (ie a speed of only 4mph) which might not seem that good, but when you bear in mind we set what was then a civilian team record and were only beaten by the two top gurkha teams, it is an achievement of which I am very proud.

Sound like you did ace. I think the extra time means more sometimes as you start having to really battle the mental side on top of physical. :thumleft: very well done.

Separately, I've just done some carb loading at Leicester with a sausage sandwich does that count? Cloud was too thick to get to Kemble which was the original mission so just had a biff about.

I got a load of exercise folding the bleeding 1:250k Map. I should have listened to the people on Flyer saying half mil!
Last edited by StratoTramp on Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By archerflyer
Is the original poster suggesting a Zwift Flyer Club?

I did a half Ironman at the end of 2019 & hope to do more once Covid restrictions make it easier to travel abroad for races.

I have found studying for exams or even prep for a flight to be all consuming, but thankfully being out a run or bike, has helped me process some topics I've struggled with or come back refreshed when hating the whizz wheel.
StratoTramp liked this
By Loco parentis
seanxair

I'm not very familiar with the business of 'horizontal jogging'. Can one pursue this activity to an accompaniment of the excellent rhythm of 'Stayin' Alive' ?
By Rob P
I think you might be confusing this with CPR.

Rob P
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By seanxair
Loco parentis wrote:seanxair

I'm not very familiar with the business of 'horizontal jogging'. Can one pursue this activity to an accompaniment of the excellent rhythm of 'Stayin' Alive' ?

The Hokey Cokey will work if nothing else comes to mind :lol:
StratoTramp liked this
By TopCat
PeteSpencer wrote:Yer heart only beats a finite number of times in yer lifetime .

Finite yes. Fixed, no. But suppose it were fixed... it would be interesting to calculate the actual effect on longevity of reducing one's resting HR from, say, 70 to 50, by being fit. Mine dropped by about that, when I got and stayed fit by doing a lot more regular exercise than I am now.

Here's a 'back of a fag packet' attempt at the calculation.

Suppose you're a couch potato, with a resting HR of 70, from, say, age 20 to 70, and then you die.

Per day, that's 24 x 60 x 70 = 100,800 beats per day. Over 50 years, that's that x 50 x 365 = 1.8 billion beats.

Suppose you do an hour of exercise a day, at an average HR of 130, the consequence of which is a resting HR of 50 for that time. As I say, that has been more or less my exact experience.

Beats per day is now (23 x 60 x 50) + (1 x 60 x 130) = 76,800 beats per day.

If that 1.8 billion beats is your allocation, that works out at 65 years, not 50.

So even if this notion of a fixed allocation of heartbeats were true, which I can't imagine it is for a moment, you'd still do better to do enough exercise to keep your resting HR low.

Well, I thought it was interesting. So ner.
StratoTramp, Pete L, malcolmfrost and 4 others liked this
By Trent772
Exercise of the day.

I had to dig a hole 3' long, 2' wide and 2' deep today in the paddock..........

RIP Moose, she was 16 and a good Jack Russell, miserable until the end, but a good friend :thumleft:
eltonioni, Flyin'Dutch', Rob P and 4 others liked this
By T6Harvard
Loco parentis wrote:seanxair

Ravel's Boléro, maybe?
seanxair liked this