For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By PeteSpencer
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Having seen Marsha Hunt in 'Hair' on stage in the Smoke in 1972 and knowing she was the subject of 'Brown Sugar',the recent Stones' woke cleaning up act had me dig out the album and listen to the words. (I never listen to words).

Then I dug out 'Some Girls' :shock: :oops:

Peter
(Not quite 80 denizen).
By Rob P
Fascinating. Stuff I never knew. Thanks Peter.

Mick Jagger wrote the lyric. According to Bill Wyman, it was partially inspired by a black backup singer named Claudia Lennear, who was one of Ike Turner's Ikettes. She and Jagger met when The Stones toured with Turner in 1969. David Bowie also wrote his Aladdin Sane track "Lady Grinning Soul" about Lennear.

American-born singer Marsha Hunt is also sometimes cited as the inspiration for the song. She and Jagger met when she was a member of the cast in the London production of the musical Hair, and their relationship, a closely guarded secret until 1972, resulted in a daughter named Karis.

According to the book Up And Down With The Rolling Stones by Tony Sanchez, all the slavery and whipping is a double meaning for the perils of being "mastered" by Brown Heroin, or "Brown Sugar." The drug cooks brown in a spoon. >>
By Genghis the Engineer
Bill McCarthy wrote:There was me thinking that Loco was on about the Kiba Dachi stance.

Uniquely, I do actually know what you're talking about there Bill!

I practice it regularly, including teaching it to students who seem capable of coming up with all sorts of variations upon the theme.

G
By tr7v8
T6Harvard wrote:A timely reminder about weight as I need to seriously address it before my first medical.
I have a reasonably active job and we both love walking but I have eaten more calories than I have burnt off for too long. It's a bad thing.

[Note to self - if we have another lockdown Do Not Bake]

Had the same issue have lost 18 odd kg since Jan 1 so BMI is at a slightly more CAA friendly 34. Keto light and walking at least 30 mins a day.
StratoTramp, T6Harvard liked this
By StratoTramp
Did a 5:30AM 5k run (well actually 4.3k). Really didn't want to do it - But ROG calling me fat was obviously playing on my mind... (He never actually said that) :lol:

Hardest thing is always getting out front door. Once you are out there you usually "enjoy" it / do more than you thought.

This morning I thought just go out even if you just walk around the block. It's usually just about turning up.

Quite like the book atomic habits. Left my running gear in the bathroom with my headtorch. To try make it as frictionless as possible so that future StratoTramp doesn't start making excuses.
T6Harvard, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Nick
Very true, our village pub has closed! Will my best mate who used to go there for his bag of pork scratchings :pig: just can't understand it. He obviously doesn't believe me. :wall:

Nick
T6Harvard liked this
By OCB
Nick wrote:Just get a dog....not any dog, a mate who likes walking. Never ever take him in the pub though, he will always urge you to call in on the way past. :lol:

Nick

No pubs near me - but my 2 year old Border Collie has been OOS for more than 2 weeks now - deep cut on his leg which is taking an age to heal.

I used to thunk I hated running, but now I realise I miss running with that daft mutt in our local fields….
By Nick
Don't give him ideas Misc, or he will be on here with his best Labrador ears on, looking all pathetic holding his begging bowl up claiming he is badly done by. You know what he's like.

Nick
By Miscellaneous
Aye @Nick, and I know who made him that way. :D

@OCB thanks for the thought of pondering whether Will, or Nick would be to heal running through the local fields. :shock:

ATB to the 'mutt' for a speedy recovery. :thumright:
Nick liked this