For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By ROG
Does it damage a mobile to leave on charge overnight--thus possibly overcharging it or is it ok to have it left on charge when 100 % charge achieved,?
By Rob P
Assuming you have an intelligent charger (most are*) you need have no worries.

Rob P

Are we talking about a phone less than twenty years old* here Rog? One never knows with you. :D
kanga, Flyin'Dutch', tr7v8 liked this
By skydriller
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Rob P wrote:Are we talking about a phone less than twenty years old* here Rog? One never knows with you.

I dunno, but if I ever have to actually buy a phone myself - as opposed to inheriting kids' year-or-two old cast-off smartphones - I want the equivilent of my first old Nokia capable of running WhatsApp...its pretty much all I really need and with limited capability hopefully wouldnt break the bank. 8)

Regards, SD..
By ROG
Hi all--thanks--phone is around 2/3 years--samsung A10.
I -still have my previous phones which still work including an ancient Nokia--GREAT PHONE.
I painted my last ancient Nokia-WITH GOLD PAINT--THEN SOMEONE NICKED IT .Bugger Caps again.

I do try to keep up with all you youngsters out there--but I find it more and more difficult to actually talk to anybody ref any business matters. There must be lots of dead people out there, clutching phones, who had hoped to speak to their insurance cos etc.
By low&slow
Lithium ion batteries "prefer" to be kept at about 40-60% of full charge. Charging them up to 100% stresses them, draining them stresses them. Even though the charging current drops as the battery approaches full charge, the phone will still draw a few mA to hold it at 100% & that will damage the battery.

Little & often is the best way to preserve lithium ion battery longevity.
By rdfb
Is it worth it though? Rechargeable phone batteries only last a few years anyway. You might choose not to care, and benefit from the convenience. Or you can spend a lot of effort micromanaging your battery and replace your phone when you would have replaced it anyway.

I'm not arguing either way here; just pointing out that it's a trade-off, and it's perfectly valid not to care. All that's happening is changing the lifetime of the battery that was going to die eventually anyway. Whether that's "damage" or not depends on your point of view.
Rob P, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Rob P
^^^^ The voice of reason. :thumleft:

Rob P
By rikur_
low&slow wrote:Lithium ion batteries "prefer" to be kept at about 40-60% of full charge. Charging them up to 100% stresses them, draining them stresses them. Even though the charging current drops as the battery approaches full charge, the phone will still draw a few mA to hold it at 100% & that will damage the battery.

But remember at least some (many?) phones when they claim 100% are at 80% of the theoretical capacity of the battery, so already partially doing this for you.
By Genghis the Engineer
Some of us still insist on phones with swappable batteries - a bit of a rarity these days, but there are at least a few such models still.

(And I agree, fine to leave on charge - but if you do such things, and do also swap batteries, make sure you're using original batteries, and not some Chinese knock-off.)

G
Andrew Sinclair liked this