For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Apparently that once in a life time experience is going to happen next spring to me.

I have already been invited to go on a second one.

Need to see if I survive the first one.

Mon @Colonel Panic , amongst other cognoscenti, knows that I have a delicate constitution when it comes to maritime matters.

Question for @Bill McCarthy - does one get seasick on a sub when it is submerged?
Colonel Panic liked this
@Flyin'Dutch' did you know, babies don't suffer from seasickness? It is thought it is because they have no concept of fear.

80% of seasickness is as a result of fear, triggered by multiple causes. Cold, hunger, tiredness and loss of balance due to no fixed visual reference being major triggers. If your ship ends up in rough weather, put a fleece on, eat something boring, drink something with caffeine and sugar, and get somewhere as close to the mid point of the ship, that has a view and relax. Tensing up to fight the ships movement does the stomach no good. State of mind, You'll be fine.

The other 20%, they are made up of the hypocondriacs and the small minority that do actually have the inner ear problem that causes motion sickness, but if you are fine flying, it probably isn't you.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By seanxair
Back in the day when I used get the ferry back to Ireland for the summer I used be horribly seasick. Then I met by chance a mate as we got out of our cars and I soon discovered that spending the journey in the bar cured me. Never looked back :D

But you wouldn't get me on a cruise ship for any money having seen a big one regurgitate it's rather unattractive human contents in Livorno. :pale:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By flybymike
My one and only cruise for my sixtieth birthday.
A dark and stormy night in the Bay of Biscay and sitting at the bar with Mrs fbm, both of us having had far too much wine to drink.
Watching the crowd of humanity doing high speed shuffling en masse from one side of the dance floor to the other, many tripping over one another on the way each time the ship rolled and pitched, is to this day one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
I’ve actually been out on a trawler a few times. Once in rough seas.

All that “look at the horizon”, that’s rubbish.

Think about it, “look at something stable and still, so your eyes feel stable and still whilst your ears and stomach tell you you’re moving”.

Worst thing you can do.

If you start to feel seasick, get on deck and look at it, look at the waves, look at the movement, and embrace it. Once your eyes see why all the feelings are happening, you’ll be fine.
Flyin'Dutch', T6Harvard liked this
Rob P wrote:Who was it said you should try everything in life once except b*gg**y and morris dancing?

I believe that it was Oscar Wilde and that he said incest and country dancing. I will leave it up to you to work out why he didn't say b*gg**y.

I was once told that the best cure for seasickness was to sit under a tree.

I imagine that hell is something like a cruise.
Flyin'Dutch', Sooty25, T6Harvard and 3 others liked this
FD - a submarine is the worst possible “shape” for a seagoing vessel. Because it is basically a cylinder, it rolls like a pig. Being at periscope depth can be a nightmare at times and many would go searching for a bucket. If the boat’s trim is out, the prop can actually leave the water. If it is rough “up top” the boat still rolls quite violently down at 200ft. It is a blessed relief getting back below 400. It’s a different story on the surface - we used to go flat out in rough weather and just plough through the “roughers”. The conning tower access hatches have to be kept shut in such circumstances to prevent flooding of the control room below. The officer of the watch and his lookout are roped to the boat to prevent them disappearing overboard.
T6Harvard, Pete L, flybymike liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
@Bill McCarthy Cheers for the update. It seems a career change to start on the submarine fleet is not one that would go down well I think.

Always been fascinated by submarines - too much Das Boot and Hunt for the red october.

Before I had the epiphany to go and study medicine I applied at the Dutch Navy Officers' school. They wanted people without a colour vision defect. Maybe I was lucky after all.
By PeteSpencer
seanxair wrote:
But you wouldn't get me on a cruise ship for any money having seen a big one regurgitate it's rather unattractive human contents in Livorno. :pale:

Back in the day we used to watch from the balcony of our timeshare in Madeira a string of cruise ships appear on the horizon and stream into the harbour We knew not to bother to stroll into town that day.

But sadly or not depending on your viewpoint those days are long gone….. :roll:
seanxair liked this
By T6Harvard
@Bill McCarthy , please PLEASE write a book about life on a Sub. It's fascinating.

Hmm, sickness is not fear for me. I spent many happy summers in small boats, loved rowing the fishers on Lochs. Ferry journeys to the Scottish isles were invariably something to look forward to.

However.....I was on an overnight ferry from Limassol to Alexandria and the crossing WAS very rough, so much so that the cabin curtains 'appeared to be' hanging at an alarming angle every few seconds ( but so are crossings to the Outer Hebrides). I spent the entire journey lying down. I was fine lying down but as soon as I stood up I felt queasy!

I am not / was not frightened by being on a ship but now I have to be in the fresh air watching the sea, as @Cessna571 said, you see the movement and understand it and all is well. Prime example, going through the Corryvreckan whirlpool at peak whirl! All fine because I could see what was coming before each peak and trough.

I'm OK in light aircraft but that maybe because my experience so far is only fairly short-lived turbulence? Or I because I am at the controls?
The only time I felt momentarily queasy was when my instructor suddenly decided to demonstrate how I was wallowing round the sky and shoved the yoke back and forth rapidly a few times, ending with a bunt :shock:
Pete L liked this