For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
Wondering why my thread was locked; it's topical and not in the least political and the eruption is apparently getting worse according to the pictures on Sky News.
I understand over 1100 homes have been destroyed so far.
By eltonioni
It's making Mrs E nervous for the break we have planned in Lanzarote in early December. The distances over the Canaries are pretty large but I can't help remembering the Iceland ash cloud and whether the prevailing winds might cause a similar situation over the Canaries given enough time.
By Rob P
eltonioni wrote:It's making Mrs E nervous

As if politics, religion and travellers wasn't bad enough, are we now getting thread locking for spousal apprehension? :lol:

Rob P
eltonioni liked this
By Propwash
eltonioni wrote:It's making Mrs E nervous for the break we have planned in Lanzarote in early December. The distances over the Canaries are pretty large but I can't help remembering the Iceland ash cloud and whether the prevailing winds might cause a similar situation over the Canaries given enough time.

We have 3 weeks booked in a villa there in November, carried over from last year when we weren't allowed to travel. That was the first time we have not gone at that time of year for about 25 years. We are really looking forward to it, but now with slight apprehension about the possible impact if this eruption gets worse, mainly on flights. :(

PW
eltonioni liked this
By Pete L
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
From rough memory of a failed attempt to get an IR, I think the Caribbean island flights are allowed to go beyond the point of any sensible alternate but I'm guessing the Canaries have some long but feasible diversions to Africa. Perhaps one of the proper pilots on the forum might offer more.
By Propwash
My main concern is if a situation similar to the Iceland ash cloud emerges grounding flights just before we are due to fly out. Trying to establish if our travel insurance would declare it an act of God and not pay out. :pale:

Not too keen on a diversion to any of the neighbouring African countries either TBH. :lol:

PW