For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Paul_Sengupta
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cessna571 wrote:I took out a crow once on a runway with an aeroplane.

Taking off from Thruxton yesterday I saw an area of the runway covered in feathers. I don't know if it was an aeroplane or a bird of prey which took the assumed bird out but the bits were scattered almost across the whole runway, and about the same distance along the runway length. Of course aeroplanes would have scattered the feathers around after the incident.

This is a timely post as a Bulldog owner in the US posted yesterday about hitting a black vulture with the tailplane. Caused some damage. Then various others posted about all sorts of military birdstrikes.
By Rob P

Seagull on final for 31 at Le Touquet for me. Passenger saw it, I didn't as it hit the starboard wing. No damage to the aircraft, no idea what happened to the gull.

Rob P
By Rob P
Paul_Sengupta wrote: ...it was too dear to fix...?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I (finally) see what you did there. Talk about delayed reaction huh?

Rob P
By StratoTramp
Sooty25 wrote:My work van currently sports a busted grill, thanks to a deer headbutting it. I'll fix it one day. :D

But those that meet me, may notice a slightly crooked nose. That was a bird strike. Motorbike, 60mph, pheasant shot out of a hedge and hit me square in the face. Managed to stay on the bike, but ended up with a broken nose, concussion and another 40 miles to ride. Pheasant wasn't so lucky though.

Oof! That's commitment.

I initially read that as cow. :lol: need my eyes tested...
Rob P, Sooty25 liked this
By Trent772
The unlucky one.....

The how the hell did that get through one...

By Pete L
Black headed gull on takeoff from Halton in a C182. Dent in the centre of the spinner and a few weeks later they detected a leak of one of the VP prop seals.

Dutifully read the the CAA notes and went to get feathers but a red kite had the remains as we arrived.
By OCB
@StratoTramp - I did see a p ssed off cow ram 2 guys off their motorcycle a few years back in India.

She was clearly hacked off that there was no break in the traffic, she had been waiting patiently- but on the turn of a ha’penny she dropped her head and took out a couple of young lads.

Thankfully for them it was the first rain in a couple of weeks, the asphalt had a healthy dose of road traffic film, and they skijted along their intended trajectory- sans motorbike. They were wearing shorts and t-shirts (helmets? Lol), and that look of amazement/fear and then dread of where they’d end up - but mainly “oh no, not again” - will stick in my memory for a long time :)
By StratoTramp
It all goes on in India. Can't find a news story anywhere to verify. But reportedly from a book called "A Short History of Drunkenness" (funny book - i listened on audible) a group of 150 elephants broke into a gun distillery in India and got punch drunk they then proceeded to demolish the town. It would be really funny (ok forgetting property damage - ha ha), but unfortunately 6 people also got trampled in the in the event :oops:

There was something about not getting into a drinking game with a Malaysian Tree Shrew too, or at least don't let them adjust for body weight if you do, as they can have 9 large glasses of wine and not feel any effect.
Paultheparaglider liked this
By OCB
Pete L wrote:Is now the time to mention Lysistrata?

There’s always one ….

….but bravo for giving into the temptation in a most eloquent manner :thumright: