For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I quite happily desist from posting politics on here but it would help if people would stick to the 'no bollox' postings paradigm

Not politics but facts:

1. UK takes only a tiny number of refugees/asylum seekers.
2. They can't be shoved off if unsuccessful as UK no longer a participant in Dublin accord.

The Dublin Accord is an agreement for the international recognition of Engineering Technician qualifications.
https://www.ieagreements.org/accords/dublin/

I guess you are talking about the Dublin Regulations?

Anyway, this thread is about fishing, if we are finished with that, then so am I.
StratoTramp wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:But since we haven't can I ask you in a non-partisan way, what the obsession is with people in dinghies?

Because we pay the French to stop it. Which costs a fortune.
They fail to do it, which also costs a fortune. Welfare and health is about a 3rd of public spending, even with pensions removed. It also creeps into coast guard/defence spending. There is no justifiable reason for an additional water crossing - Europe is not a war zone.

Wasted taxes are everybodies non-partisan problem.

I had to go to the minor injuries unit a couple of weeks ago.

The unsavoury lady in there, with the multiple young children didn’t come across the channel in a dinghy.

Last time I went to the GP surgery the pharmacy there was like a social club for the over 70’s picking up their free prescriptions.

My father (who I don’t talk to these days) is quite proud of the number of pills he takes. He has them all laid out on the pill table, it’s quite a hobby. What him and his friends must be costing the taxpayer is unreal.

The few thousand coming across the channel don’t even show up in the statistics.

Seriously, I’d rather pay to help someone so desperate they are prepared to cross the channel in a dinghy than the chap who had to change GP surgeries because he punched his GP for telling him that really most of his back problems were due to being overweight and he could do with losing a bit of weight.
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
On balance I probably agree, but we aren't the worlds bank. Maybe we should look at reducing both other than the over 70s bit.

In any case they need to do it the legal route. Not just appear.
Last edited by StratoTramp on Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Flyin'Dutch'
eltonioni wrote:Incoming news; immigrants get old and some are nasty to doctors.

That is old news.

Immigrants are net contributors to the health and social services system, taxes and GDP.

They look, talk and smell different though that some of the indigenous population and that is what for some people is the problem.
By johnm
For the avoidance of doubt there is nothing wrong with the bulk of immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees relative to the mongrel indigenous population.

They are merely a convenient scapegoat for failings in society that ought to be addressed but aren't.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Incoming news; immigrants get old and some are nasty to doctors.

That is old news.

Immigrants are net contributors to the health and social services system, taxes and GDP.

They look, talk and smell different though that some of the indigenous population and that is what for some people is the problem.

Some.

Since we think the same, I don't think we need to go down this rabbit hole do we?
At the risk of "thread drift", the frogs want £125k to release our fishing boat

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10151055/Owners-British-trawler-impounded-Normandy-ordered-pay-125-000-deposit.html

and Liz Truss is threatening legal action

She warned that unless France withdrew its threats, the UK was prepared to "use the dispute resolution mechanism in the trade deal we signed with the EU to take action against the French".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59117529
Umm, don't think so FD.

AIUI they put a bunch of lawyers in a room, call them arbitrators, and let them thrash something out. There's no ECJ function in the TCA TTBOMK because, of course, in this matter of international law the UK and EU are sovereign and France isn't.

(That's also why the anomaly of the NI Protocol has to go, but let's not go there :P )
By MikeE
According to The Times -

"If one side feels the other is breaching the agreement, they must first make “good faith” attempts to resolve the issue for 30 days.

If these talks fail, an independent arbitration tribunal can be set up.

This consists of one member nominated by the UK, one by the EU and a jointly agreed chairperson. This panel must make a ruling within 130 days, although an interim report is needed within 100 days. Either side can also ask for an urgent ruling in half these times, although the tribunal must agree.

The tribunal’s ruling is legally binding, and if it decides there has been a breach, the loser has 30 days to set out how they will comply with the agreement. If they do not, the complainant can ask the tribunal for compensation or retaliate with measures in the same area, in this case fishing.

Fisheries also have their own separate provisions under which either side can suspect [sic - think it should say 'suspend'] access to their waters of one side changes the level of agreed access. If the other side is unhappy with this, they can refer the matter to a tribunal.

Unlike the withdrawal agreement, the European Court of Justice has no role in adjudicating disputes in the trade agreement, which is government by standard international law."

Regards

Mike
By johnm
There's a good analysis of the process here

A reduction in red tape and bureaucracy it ain't. It's a convoluted process designed to eliminate any role for ECJ aka CJEU