For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
I know this could fall into the "no politics" trap - but it's more about hearing from those close to the subject (physically or professionally etc) rather than getting into a fish slapping competition.

I see Macron and various others in the Fifth Republic are getting vocal about blockades etc - ostensibly due to post-Brexit fishing rights.

It seems a pretty serious escalation - that I imagine wouldn't go unchallenged by Boris and Co..and in fact, could well be a welcome "weapon of mass distraction" for him.

Anyone on here going a scoobie what really is going on??
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I'm not an expert, but there's a lot of new bureaucracy and confusion and it applies in respect of both mainland UK and the Channel Islands. AIUI the deal agreed a system of grandfather rights based on historical fishing habits and the French needed to apply for licences on that basis, some have been granted, some have not and the French are not impressed with the scale of refusals and the justification thereof.
It was French politicians who continued to say during the tortuous negotiations that the UK couldn't cherry pick and expect things to remain the same once we had left. This could be a very good example of being careful what you wish for. :lol: :lol:

Trying to steer away from political comment, we have been used to industrial disruption by French fishermen even when we were a member of the EU. The sky didn't fall in. I wonder how long it would take for French exporters, who suffered like everybody else during the pandemic, to demand any blockade was ended by government action? I suspect not long.

PW
By seanxair
Propwash wrote:Upcoming election in France would be my guess. A bit of rhetoric against the "English" never hurts a French politician...

Do the "Germans" get the same rhetoric? They did invade France not that long ago :)
johnm wrote:I'm not an expert, but there's a lot of new bureaucracy and confusion and it applies in respect of both mainland UK and the Channel Islands. AIUI the deal agreed a system of grandfather rights based on historical fishing habits and the French needed to apply for licences on that basis, some have been granted, some have not and the French are not impressed with the scale of refusals and the justification thereof.

part of their application required them to prove their grandfather rights to a level of proof agreed by the EU. Many of the applications failed through lack of the required proof!

It seems many french fishermen keep no logs, have no GPS tracks stored or transmit AIS data (not a legal requirement below 15mtrs), so have no proof! Landing and selling fish doesn't prove where it was caught.

Would you rent an aeroplane to a pilot with no logbooks?
By skydriller
Sooty25 wrote:It seems many french fishermen keep no logs, have no GPS tracks stored or transmit AIS data (not a legal requirement below 15mtrs), so have no proof! Landing and selling fish doesn't prove where it was caught.

And the main reason alot of them dont have these logs is because of EU restrictions on where and when and what they could fish... restrictions they didnt really want to abide by... because if you have no records then ... :wink:
a gallic standard ive come to know so well since living here.

Regards, SD..

PS : the above is a guess based on living here and seeing how good the French are at circumventing rules. But only some rules. Mainly EU ones they dont like even if accepted in theory.
skydriller wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Now you know what happens when you turn your transponder off.

French fishermen will blockade your aerodrome ?... :wink:

:lol: and the farmers burn refugees in yellow vests dropped out of British Chinooks all paid for by EU butter lakes.. :twisted:
By StratoTramp
skydriller wrote:And the main reason alot of them dont have these logs is because of EU restrictions on where and when and what they could fish... restrictions they didnt really want to abide by... because if you have no records then ... :wink:
a gallic standard ive come to know so well since living here.

Regards, SD..

No records no tax - hadn't thought of that when I was empathising with them for being caught out by the rule change. In that case hoist by own petard! :lol:
By Pete L
seanxair wrote:
Propwash wrote:Upcoming election in France would be my guess. A bit of rhetoric against the "English" never hurts a French politician...

Do the "Germans" get the same rhetoric? They did invade France not that long ago :)

The current muddle suits everyone - the Holy Roman Empire has been squabbled over by N and S for 1000 years and the French while longing for the days of Charlemagne know where the European economy is run from. One way of looking at the EU is extended war reparations after the French gave up the Saarland when there was no coal and iron left (1959) - keeps the Germans just poor enough not to turn expansionist.