For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
johnm wrote:I still remember the cod wars with Iceland, fishing rights in the North Sea and surrounding areas have always been an issue. The CFP created an uneasy truce which is now being put at serious risk

Which of course, the 200 mile EEZ was designed to solve. I'm not as old and haven't checked, but didn't Iceland introduce it in first, causing the Cod Wars, but which caused it to be agreed generally.

The UK is merely applying the internationally agreed solution to fishing disputes. Innit.
johnm wrote:.., fishing rights in the North Sea and surrounding areas have always been an issue. ..

.. and on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland, where local placenames reflect the many NW Europe littoral nations whose boats have been there since 16th c and possibly earlier, more or (often) less amicably :roll:
kanga wrote:
johnm wrote:.., fishing rights in the North Sea and surrounding areas have always been an issue. ..

.. and on the Grand Banks off Newfoundland, where local placenames reflect the many NW Europe littoral nations whose boats have been there since 16th c and possibly earlier, more or (often) less amicably :roll:

Grand Banks - the area that used to have a lot of cod, but mainly crabs now….can’t believe the collapse in stocks was 1992!

It’s difficult not to despair about human greed and stupidity reading this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse_of_the_Atlantic_northwest_cod_fishery
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I suppose getting into fisty cuffs over food is better than the usual reasons.

If they start messing with power another reason to have a sovereign energy supply... Say with gas fracturing or nuclear (problem is hinkly C is all EDF & china). All this because they lost 90Bn trying to sell Australia an obsolete diesel submarine and Macron is trying to look hard-line against Barnier and Le-Pen.

I get global trade works well and is effective in general but really for things like energy, steel, defence, most of your food, you need a sovereign supplies.

Also shouldn't appease whiney bullies. They are ganging up on our Polish bros now because they have the audacity to want to make their own sovereign laws :roll: sounds familiar for some reason. :lol:

Anyone remember Hughs Fish Fight? About discards of dead or dying fish back into the sea.

https://www.rivercottage.net/campaigns/hughs-fish-fight
We’ve cut China out of Hinkley Point I believe. EDF is French, and just to think that in the early years of nuclear power, we had a 20 year lead in its development.
Sizewell C has been given the go ahead. Sizewell B was responsible for clearing out many of nuclear boat operators as the design is the same, but larger.
By StratoTramp
Bill McCarthy wrote:We’ve cut China out of Hinkley Point I believe. EDF is French, and just to think that in the early years of nuclear power, we had a 20 year lead in its development.
Sizewell C has been given the go ahead. Sizewell B was responsible for clearing out many of nuclear boat operators as the design is the same, but larger.

Yeah squandered opportunity. That's good, need to build more. So other countries or 'god' can't turn the taps or wind off respectively.

I wish he or she? Would turn it off this week. I want to do some flying :lol:
By StratoTramp
Reminds me of those military scenes in films where a soldier gets dragged in front of some chief/general or something or other and they say "I need to pretend to shout at you for a few minutes, pretend to leave looking distraught." :lol:
Threats to cut off energy are ridiculous. Threats to blockade ports will do their business and citizens as much damage as ours (not much either way, but none the less y'get the point).

If only their fishers(sic) had turned on their transponders once a year so they could legitimately prove that they were where they were entitled to be. But they didn't, so they can't, so they were not there even though they were there. Schrodinger's Fishers. :oops:

Let's make no mistake, this is no less than a threat of war. A century ago it would have led to a hot one.