For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
johnm wrote:The boat has now been released it seems and Jersey is getting on with licensing little French boats I believe...

. . . . . . which can produce reliable evidence of historic fishing in Jersey waters. In other words doing exactly what they were doing before - in line with the agreement between the UK and the EU. :roll:

PW
johnm wrote:The boat has now been released it seems and Jersey is getting on with licensing little French boats I believe...

or maybe not...

interview of french skipper in this article
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10160133/Captain-impounded-British-trawler-heads-court-learn-boat-released.html

Fisherman Loic Fontaine, from Calais, said he is planning to sell his boat because, cut off after Brexit from access to British waters where French fleets traditionally fished, the vessel can no longer earn its keep.

Fontaine, 45, admitted: 'The English are stubborn, they won't let go... it is better to stay friendly and to find a compromise. If we start a naval war, it won't end.'
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
CloudHound wrote:
I think history shows Naval conflict always ends the same way. :roll:

Hmm I think that depends a bit on what time window you choose :-)
By Flyin'Dutch'
OCB wrote:Interesting that this has dropped off the Doppler….

How so?

The PM saw off a blockade by the French by getting the sovereign Channel Islands to issue licences to the french.

Enough in there for everyone to claim victory so people have moved on to the next major political issue.

I think since then we are now on major issue 2 or 3, innit.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
OCB wrote:Interesting that this has dropped off the Doppler….

How so?

The PM saw off a blockade by the French by getting the sovereign Channel Islands to issue licences to the french.

Enough in there for everyone to claim victory so people have moved on to the next major political issue.

I think since then we are now on major issue 2 or 3, innit.

I was referring to the simple fact that the media focus has moved somewhere else, but “IRL”, ze problème hasn’t disparu
From a reliable source/sauce? :lol:

On Wednesday morning (27 Oct 2021) officials from France, the UK and the European Commission met.

"The outcome of that meeting was that 162 French vessels will be licensed to fish in Jersey's territorial waters from this Friday," the statement said.

Of the 162 licences, 113 were permanent, an increase of two, and 49 were temporary, an increase of 18.

Vessels with a temporary licence would be able to fish in Jersey waters until 31 January 2022, "to give them time to provide further data which is necessary to secure a permanent licence".

There were 55 vessels in a third category that would not have a licence to fish in Jersey waters after 31 October, said the statement.

The timing of many political/Christian events are involved here. Some may choose the issues. Others may choose the timing to tackle them.
Last edited by A4 Pacific on Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sooty25 wrote:The Danes are having a pop at us now.

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/17/denmark-accuses-uk-of-breaking-brexit-fishing-deal-over-trawling-ban

As I have learned the hard way in the public sector, slinging mud (or poo, you choose) is free.

The smart “slingers” chose their time and place.

It’s still free though.

Cleaning up is never free, and I think that should be remembered.
By johnm
It’s absolutely not a public sector issue. We used to call it “bird calls” fly in drop a bit of **** and fly out again :lol:
johnm wrote:It’s absolutely not a public sector issue. We used to call it “bird calls” fly in drop a bit of **** and fly out again :lol:

Oh yes it is a public sector issue - in the private sector, you could only fake it for a few weeks, then you’d be out on yer ear. Unless you had a Peerage etc, but we aren’t talking those out-liars
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:I think most on here are old and wise enough to have seen the spectacular failures of the private sector to know that the much vaunted 'free market efficiency' and 'leave it to business' are flags which don't cover the load very well.

Where do I start....

I sense a pique of frustration, and most probably “fair enough”.

Me - personally - I’ve never been a free market profiteer, either by act or intention.

I do worry that some on here need a break.

That’s possibly because they have had enough of Covid etc,

Any which way - I’d say, make sure your young uns are in place to look after the kids!