For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Flyingfemme
So, following on from the "power companies going bust" thread, some comment on those who are left.

My business power is supplied by British Gas - electricity only, no gas in the hangar. It was a 2 year fixed contract, through a broker. PITA to set up because we have a half-hourly meter but are classified as a "micro-business"; lots of suppliers simply would not speak to us. Back in March my broker advised signing a new contract, to start on 29th September when this one ends. It was a 3 year deal at about the same price I was paying and they were most insistent it was a great deal. So I signed. It was British Gas Plus - a different company (allegedly) using the same branding as BG (without the Plus).

Come early September and BGP email to say that my switch was denied. I call BG and demand to know why. I am told that I "had not notified them" I was switching. WTF? The contract expires. And anyway, I had told them, in August, when they called to make me a derisory offer (refused). No surprise that they "have no record" of this.

So now my switch is delayed 10 days - during which they see fit to charge me 35p per unit and a 60% uplift on the daily rate.

And, of course, this is all to benefit the customer!
By avtur3
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I feel your pain, I believe that we were all sold "a pup" in terms of the idea that the domestic fuel market was a genuine competitive market, with a regulator enforced price cap, how could it be. The 'price cap' was a political intervention which undermined any idea that it was a 'free market' space.

It seems perfectly obvious that you are, sorry for want of a better expression, "being shafted" as a result of your choices being limited, how can that be the case in a fair and open market place?

I'm with Octopus energy, the single reasons I moved to them was because they are the only 'Which' recommended supplier and I have a certain amount of respect for the 'Which' organisation. Hopefully they will be one, of the few, suppliers to survive the current upheavals. Octopus were never the cheapest, but hopefully they have sufficient expertise and resources to keep them afloat in these troubled waters.
By Colonel Panic
avtur3 wrote:I feel your pain, I believe that we were all sold "a pup" in terms of the idea that the domestic fuel market was a genuine competitive market, with a regulator enforced price cap, how could it be. The 'price cap' was a political intervention which undermined any idea that it was a 'free market' space.

Whether or not it is / was a genuine competitive market, the fact remains that some suppliers / some tariffs were significantly cheaper than others, and unless one "played the (switching) game" one was left with trousers around ones ankles.

The current situation just highlights the folly of setting a maximum selling price in an era of wildly increasing & unregulated purchase prices.
By TravellerBob
My UK supplier of the month went bust (Avro) and Ofnnn* switched me to Octopus. Will report back with new customer updation.

* Ofnnn as I cannot remember the acronym of the regulator this week
By Flyingfemme
But there isn’t, actually, a maximum selling price. There is a vague description of a total that “ should not” be exceeded for the “ average user”. And zero protection for businesses.
By johnm
A completely unregulated utility market makes no sense, nor does an incoherently regulated market which is what the UK features across a range of utilities and transport.
kanga liked this
By riverrock
Flyingfemme wrote:Come early September and BGP email to say that my switch was denied. I call BG and demand to know why. I am told that I "had not notified them" I was switching. WTF? The contract expires. And anyway, I had told them, in August, when they called to make me a derisory offer (refused). No surprise that they "have no record" of this.

Switching businesses is different to switching domestic. You have to specifically tell your current supplier that you are switching and when this will happen. You can only do this within various contracted periods. With domestic the suppliers can organise it between them and you can switch at any time, although you may pay a penalty charge depending on what tariff you are on.

You can ask BG for the call recording. Energy companies pretty much always keep a record to help them enforce contacts and prove compliance. However I suggest that for 10 days delay it wouldn't be worth the effort.

Most countries you get no choice on supplier at all!
By Colonel Panic
Flyingfemme wrote:But there isn’t, actually, a maximum selling price. There is a vague description of a total that “ should not” be exceeded for the “ average user”. And zero protection for businesses.

Can't comment about business use, but this page from Ofgem gives a raft of maximum rates, including the daily standing charges. Or have I missed something?

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/d ... march-2022

Specifically https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/sites/default/ ... 202022.pdf

Meanwhile, I do hope that the raft of folk transferred to Octopus don't sink the ship; AIUI it "costs" the new firms ~£600 per account, and there is absolutely no way Shell Energy will make that back from me!
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyingfemme
@CP thank you. They don't make it easy to find, do they? I looked all over the place for something like that. It's still not actually terribly clear. I assume that is for domestic because my "default" business tariff is way over that.
Colonel Panic liked this
By Flyingfemme
Colonel Panic wrote:Meanwhile, I do hope that the raft of folk transferred to Octopus don't sink the ship; AIUI it "costs" the new firms ~£600 per account, and there is absolutely no way Shell Energy will make that back from me!

Probably not from me either...........I wait for the rates with bated breath (not).
Colonel Panic liked this
By Sooty25
riverrock wrote:If the prices are high, and customer service is woeful,because the power company is terrible, your only recourse is to politicians.

or if we wind back to the 70's, black outs. Reading the Beano by candle light is a lasting memory.

I'm not sure the current arrangement is ideal either, for both business or consumer.

Small business owners do tend to get abused by service providers though, and not just limited to energy.
By Colonel Panic
I spoke with my heating oil supplier yesterday, asking why I, as an "agricultural business user", am being quoted (something of the order of) 48p / litre for heating oil whilst my mother is being quoted ~75p / litre for the same stuff & same quantity by the same supplier (Certas), albeit a different depot. The answer is that agricultural customers can expect a 7-10 delivery whilst residential customers 2-3 weeks (plus), and with prices rising so quickly they have to cover themselves.

Whether this is true or not I know not, but business customers for oil are getting a better deal right now.