For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 10
User avatar
By Pete L
#1877114
johnm wrote:I think the theory is that wood pellets from trees are replaced by planting trees so there’s a closed loop. A bit like coppicing.


My parents grew up in the London smogs.

Wood burners an affectationf for a few. Living in the East of England, a cold still day will have the neighbour's furnace dropping its particles on everyone else.
By johnm
#1877123
I grew up in a coal mining town where half the population got concessionary coal, made London smog look like CAVOK :roll:

We use gas and wood, the wood comes from our coppice which regenerates on a 10 year cycle, so no kiln dried logs for us :D
StratoTramp liked this
User avatar
By kanga
#1877179
Pete L wrote:..

.. the London smogs.

...


.. a major motivation for Smiths developing Autoland for BEA for the Trident, as we explain to visitors at JAM ..

I expect that it's rare these days for Cat 3b to be needed at any UK airport. I don't know about other parts of the world, however ..
User avatar
By skydriller
#1877186
kanga wrote:I expect that it's rare these days for Cat 3b to be needed at any UK airport. I don't know about other parts of the world, however ..


You obviously dont fly enough... :wink:
kanga liked this
User avatar
By Pete L
#1877321
LowNSlow1 wrote:The bean counters have finally twigged that biomass isn't necessarily "green": https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/oct/19/drax-dropped-from-index-of-green-energy-firms-amid-biomass-doubts

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/mar/23/green-groups-dispute-power-station-claim-biomass-carbon-neutral


If they're burning beans then the sulphides may be a problem as well :D
By Bill McCarthy
#1877332
Burning wood, whether it be coppiced, kiln dried, or from a freshly felled tree, is certainly a long way from being “green”. It takes say, 50 years, to grow a Sitka Spruce before it is commercially farmed. 50 years to grow and just a winter to burn it. You could get a half load by slipping a bung to the lorry driver. I burn used fence posts which dried where they were over the years. The wood burner is only on during very cold winter nights. Tonight, I’m on free electricity, with excess exported, as it’s a bit windy outside.
User avatar
By StratoTramp
#1877405
Bill McCarthy wrote:Burning wood, whether it be coppiced, kiln dried, or from a freshly felled tree, is certainly a long way from being “green”. It takes say, 50 years, to grow a Sitka Spruce before it is commercially farmed. 50 years to grow and just a winter to burn it. You could get a half load by slipping a bung to the lorry driver. I burn used fence posts which dried where they were over the years. The wood burner is only on during very cold winter nights. Tonight, I’m on free electricity, with excess exported, as it’s a bit windy outside.


Anything that burns with a yellow flame is dirty as it implies incomplete burn and large chunks of molecules coming off and particulates coming off. But that said Id like an open fire too!

https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expe ... r-quality/

Blue to invisible flame is cleanest (complete burn of fuel). The latter Perhaps not the safest as you can't see the fire... At least not until other dirty stuff starts burning. :lol: - thinking those little meths cookers.

I'm up as I've just had a power cut...
Last edited by StratoTramp on Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:51 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
By StratoTramp
#1877410
Ha spider sense. :lol: 8)

No it reset my besdsite clock display to the brightest level. Made something beep somewhere when the power came back.

...and set of a house alarm in a neighborhood.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By LowNSlow1
#1877460
Ah, the Blue Flame!! A treatise on how to brew your own alcohol without going blind using components from the Aramco Stores!! https://alchemistcabinet.wordpress.com/2017/07/25/the-blue-flame-a-treatise-on-producing-hooch-in-saudi-arabia/

PS the article is wrong in asserting Aramco was British, it was of course American and the powers that be were scared of their staff making moonshine end ending up with sight limiting methanol!
StratoTramp liked this
By LowNSlow1
#1877543
Fair comment SkyD.

We did in Libya but we had a still with a 1m tall copper reflux column filled with glass balls and also had a stainless steel tray with charcoal filters to remove the fusel oils....

The adjacent Scandanavian construction company facility had a still made of two stainless steel baths welded together with a reflux column on top and a full time engineer running it!
User avatar
By skydriller
#1877548
LowNSlow1 wrote:We did in Libya but we had a still with a 1m tall copper reflux column filled with glass balls and also had a stainless steel tray with charcoal filters to remove the fusel oils....!


Ah... Now Libya was a different place entirely... in every sense...

The phrase :shock: "holy ****..!!! Give me some more Coke for this quick!!" :shock: springs to mind.
:drunken:

Regards, SD..
  • 1
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 10