For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
riverrock wrote:I wouldn't want to be the person who wrote the dodgy config... but its probably going to be more than just a single typo as presumably the checks and safeguards were bypassed in some way.

Glad I don't work for them today!

I think the person who did it could well now be referred to in past tense :wink:

Funnily enough, one of my projects for a global client is rolling out and testing BGP, amongst other networky type stuff - maybe I should tout my services and success record to FaceBook…or maybe not… :roll:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By StratoTramp
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Might be BS, but there was a story about some guy trying to get all of his personal data out of Facebook. Gross simplification - They couldn't actually comply as they didn't know where all of it was once it was all chopped up and in the Facebook ether.

One thing that gets me is you think how powerful search is now. Now, think of it in 100 years. Bad combination with the fact the internet never forgets and this new fad of constantly redefining what is offensive.

Anyway YouTube is the only one I really care about for obvious reasons. Do use WhatsApp but can still text like ye olde days.

Worst comes to the worst and it all went down - could read a bleeding book. Jeez I sound like johnm :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By riverrock
If you login to facebook, and go to https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=y ... nformation you can download all the data that you've provided to facebook.
You can't get what facebook has done with your data (eg - it saw you mentioned flying, so it sent you adverts for RSPB ) which some people are miffed about (eg https://ruben.verborgh.org/facebook/ )
StratoTramp liked this
By GrahamB
There is some insidious stuff going on.

We got back from two weeks at our French house last Thursday. Opposite our place is a tiny one-up one-down which had been empty for some time, but during the time we haven’t been there had been done up and was now on AirBnB. New shutters, front door, drainpipe and a shiny new porch thing of a type that only the French seem to do, of a make we’d never seen before. This provoked a quick conversation between Mrs GB and I along the lines of how good it looked, they’re usually quite tacky, this one looked quite robust and whether it was metal or plastic. Later that week she took a photo of the ‘ruelle’ in which our house sits, in which the porch over the street was visible, but not prominent. She has not shared that photo with anyone, nor posted it to any SM. She has not searched for porches on Amazon., eBay, anywhere.

This morning Instagram sent her an Amazon ad for that porch. Not any old porch, but that exact porch.

I can only surmise that our conversations are being listened to.
As a matter of interest, do her/your photographs automatically back up to an on-line resource like Amazon photos etc? Mine do but I often wonder which algorithms look at them. I won’t have anything like Echo etc in my home precisely because I don’t trust them. They must be listening to be able to “wake up” when you use the magic words.

PW
By GrahamB
Propwash wrote:As a matter of interest, do her/your photographs automatically back up to an on-line resource like Amazon photos etc?

Only Apple iCloud, and certainly no Amazon spy products involved!

I suppose Apple Siri could be eavesdropping, but I’d find it unlikely that data would be shared with the competition.
TravellerBob liked this
By StratoTramp
Propwash wrote:As a matter of interest, do her/your photographs automatically back up to an on-line resource like Amazon photos etc? Mine do but I often wonder which algorithms look at them. I won’t have anything like Echo etc in my home precisely because I don’t trust them. They must be listening to be able to “wake up” when you use the magic words.

PW

They do but it's a rolling 3 seconds that gets deleted IIRC.

Still wouldn't have one. Bit too much like The Lives Of Others. Humanity got through all the east Germany stuff only to willingly put listening devices in our homes. Even if this time they are trying to control our behaviour to make us buy stuff :lol: rather than reinforce allegiance to the motherland. :pig:

Actually, That said phone is doing it too right now waiting for the words. "ok, Google" :roll: so I do have it really. :lol:
By johnm
GrahamB wrote:
Propwash wrote:As a matter of interest, do her/your photographs automatically back up to an on-line resource like Amazon photos etc?

Only Apple iCloud, and certainly no Amazon spy products involved!

I suppose Apple Siri could be eavesdropping, but I’d find it unlikely that data would be shared with the competition.

She’s probably left the door open to targeted advertising
By StratoTramp
Rob P wrote:Give me targeted advertising every time over random.

Rob P

There is some truth in this. With un-targeted ads I just get gross "ear wax treatment" ads. I think it is a ploy to get me to turn ads back on.

Maybe there is something in the meta data that implies I don't wash :lol:
Rob P liked this
Rob P wrote:Give me targeted advertising every time over random.

I do find this odd; I find a totally irrelevant ad much easier to ignore than I do for something that I might be interested in. As a result far less mental bandwidth is consumed seeing it.

And the best "box to tick" is, of course, "Use an adblocker".
Flyin'Dutch', johnm liked this
Colonel Panic wrote:And the best "box to tick" is, of course, "Use an adblocker".

The problem with adblock software is that taken to its logical conclusion there won't be any advertising revenues and sites dependent upon those revenues will disappear or have to charge: Neither of which is "better" than the current model.