For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Late yesterday afternoon, my wife complained the home network had problems- that “some stuff” wasn’t working.

I checked Speedtest and Google- seemed fine to me.

I asked if issue was on one device or multiple- she said phone and laptop.

Hmmm.

A few minutes of searching - nothing.

Then I see on the news that Facebook was down…

:lol:

I see it’s the big leading news item on the Daily Wail.

Seriously??

China is sabre rattling, we are still in the grips of a pandemic (with furlough scheme getting switched off), you lot in many parts of the UK can’t get petrol or truck drivers…but it’s world news that Facebook messed up a server update?
StratoTramp liked this
Given how much of our infrastructure and vital services like utilities rely on internet servers, I suspect that the next war will be fought in cyberspace. Why obliterate enemy countries and render them unfit to occupy by making them irradiated wastelands when you can simply render all their defences and services redundant by hacking a few servers? I hope GCHQ is getting all the funding it needs. :pale:

PW
Propwash wrote:..I hope GCHQ is getting all the funding it needs. :pale:

PW

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-58779337

If the Salmesbury runway is still usable, perhaps FR24 curtain twitchers will start observing a shuttle from Staverton :wink:
johnm, Nick liked this
By riverrock
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Yeah- apparently they rolled out dodgy configuration to their internal network, which brought down their entire internal network & data centers, so even their security passes
Our engineering teams have learned that configuration changes on the backbone routers that coordinate network traffic between our data centers caused issues that interrupted this communication. This disruption to network traffic had a cascading effect on the way our data centers communicate, bringing our services to a halt.

We want to make clear at this time we believe the root cause of this outage was a faulty configuration change.

As it affected all internal servers, it affected facebook, Instagram & WhatsApp.
Instagram and WhatsApp have different external config (Instagram front end goes through Amazon Web Services for example) but as the internal servers couldn't communicate, they were also brought down.

They have an automated system to direct traffic to the best external end point (Boarder Gateway Protocol), but as the internal servers were all down, there was nothing to direct to so all routes to Facebook.com on the internet were automatically withdrawn. Therefore it literally disappeared off the internet.

I wouldn't want to be the person who wrote the dodgy config... but its probably going to be more than just a single typo as presumably the checks and safeguards were bypassed in some way.

Glad I don't work for them today!
OCB liked this