For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Like most I use an ad blocker on Chrome full time. Who wouldn't?

I never ignore ads. Having been involved, they interest me as social ephemera, and the targeted ones might also deliver something I am interested in, but was unaware of its existence.

I am wholly confident in my ability to view an ad and not sheep-like purchase the product, though I am aware of the brand influences when browsing the supermarket shelves, but really that matters little to me.

Rob P
StratoTramp liked this
Propwash wrote:Given how much of our infrastructure and vital services like utilities rely on internet servers, I suspect that the next war will be fought in cyberspace. .. I hope GCHQ is getting all the funding it needs. ..

and the necessary permissions to put its own security over the 'free market' in procurement ? From today's BBC summary of nationals' front pages:

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpspr ... ft2610.png

"The front page of the Financial Times has details of a deal between Britain's three spy agencies and Amazon - which will see the US tech giant store top secret intelligence files on its cloud service.

The paper says the move is aimed at allowing spies to share information more easily - but warns the contract is "likely to ignite sovereignty concerns" - as a vast amount of the UK's most secret data will be hosted overseas. GCHQ is said to have wanted to find a UK cloud provider - but it became clear none had the scale or capacity needed."
StratoTramp liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Cloud services are tricky and I'm not fully up to date, but if well set up they are secure to the extent that if you lose data the cloud provider can't recover it for you because they have no way to find it.

Amazon Web Services pioneered these facilities and it is possible to constrain the establishment of platforms to particular regions across the globe.

I am surprised that GCHQ has been persuaded down this route though. Data storage and sharing could have been retained in house but where serious supercomputer power was needed it could be set up on AWS and run then the resources released.

We did this as experiments about 10 years ago in UK academia. We created a machine on AWS that was slightly more powerful than the whole of the UK's supercomputer capacity at that time, uploaded data, ran a job for a few hours and downloaded the results and then released the resources. Assuming nothing much has changed then if you get the timing right (off peak) you can buy the UK's supercomputer power for a couple of hours for a few hundred dollars.
kanga liked this