For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
When I read this words truly failed me..............

Ukraine is actually UA, of course, those nice chaps at the United Nations wouldn't allow duplication. I've got a GB sticker in the glove box which I've never bothered to fit and no-one has ever bothered about it in all the thousands of miles I've travelled across Europe.

I suppose I might have to put a UK sticker in there now and if anyone pulls me up I shall fit it upside down to reflect the topsy turvy state of the nation :D
By johnm
The whole existence of Northern Ireland is weird, but let's not go there :-)

We also have
GBG Guernsey
GBJ Jersey
GBM Isle of Man
GBZ Gibraltar.
riverrock wrote:It always felt weird putting GB on a Northern Irish car.

And this, I suspect, is the main driver behind this move. UK is inclusive of NI whereas GB is not. It may appear to be tedious semantics to some people on the mainland, who end up lost for words, but for many people in NI it will be a reassurance that the UK government is not altogether abandoning the Province. I can understand that. More detailed discussion would almost certainly trespass into forbidden territory. :wink:

PW
Charles Hunt, JAFO, TravellerBob and 2 others liked this
By FlightDek
As a proud Norn Irishman I've always been a bit miffed when we have "Team GB" at the Olympics. I know it's all about branding but it does exclude one of the nations in the UK. The same when I see car insurance adverts on TV that have in small print at the bottom of the screen "Excludes NI".

Admittedly, those in the province don't do themselves any favours by having separate legal and licensing systems. 20 years ago I moved to England for work and bought a car in Coventry. As I was staying in a hotel, and didn't have an English address, I used my parents address in NI for the purchase. Six months later I went to re-tax the car only to be told at the post office that the car had been exported - to Northern Ireland. How can it be exported to the same country? I had to re-import it and only then could I sort out the tax. :lol:
Propwash liked this
By skydriller
FlightDek wrote: I've always been a bit miffed when we have "Team GB" at the Olympics. I know it's all about branding

I get miffed there arent "british" football, cricket, Rugby teams etc.
I dont understand why there are 4... :wink:
FlightDek liked this