For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
A sovereign nation deciding its international identifier is surely not newsworthy unless the news people are trying to conflate a more Machiavellian rationale.

UK or GB it's all fine by me.
JAFO liked this
townleyc wrote:Not sure that U.K. is still relevant - perhaps it should be D.K.

:(

KE

Oh dear, oh dear. I don't think it's spelled "Drama Kween" if I'm honest.

The nation is united, just a few whingers here and there tell you otherwise. They'll stop or be gone soon. :thumleft:
akg1486 wrote:
townleyc wrote:Not sure that U.K. is still relevant - perhaps it should be D.K.

:(

KE

Taken by Denmark, I'm afraid.

.. about time the Knud dynasty took over the Danelaw again ? :wink:
Merci, Skydriller, for making this point.

It was only last week that I went into my local Halfords store and bought some headlamp covers and a GB magnetic sign for a trip to France next week. There was no sign to suggest I was buying something that, by the end of last week, was no longer valid or legal when driving in Europe and no one pointed it out as I gave them my hard earned in exchange for the goods.

When I went back today there were still loads of kits on sale with no indication that these are no longer legal but the helpful assistant did give me a UK replacement free of charge (too right) but did, having spoken to her manager, say these were now just for using in this country!! I did point out that we don't actually require them here and, perhaps, it might be a better idea to pull them from sale until correct signage was in place. There was no indication this was going to happen.

Needless to say I have sent an email to Halfords HQ pointing out the above and relating my sorry saga to them.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There have been times in recent years when I’ve thought it might have been better if Napoleon had won, but

about time the Knud dynasty took over the Danelaw again

is probably a better idea :D
Propwash wrote:
johnm wrote:There have been times in recent years when I’ve thought it might have been better if Napoleon had won, but

Which given your posting history will surprise nobody. :lol:

PW

Just the sound of one hand clapping and one jaw flapping innit. :mrgreen:
By Paul_Sengupta
kanga wrote:Most of the Commonwealth/Empire went to Vs (which they still use), including Newfoundland with 'VO-' (until Confederation in 1949), but Canada started on 'CF-'s with anticipated control also of at least 'CG-'s.

Canada use VE- and VO- as their amateur radio prefix.
kanga liked this
Paul_Sengupta wrote:
kanga wrote:Most of the Commonwealth/Empire went to Vs (which they still use), including Newfoundland with 'VO-' (until Confederation in 1949), ...

Canada use VE- and VO- as their amateur radio prefix.

:)

.. and I see that VOs are still for Newfoundland and Labrador, with VO1AA appropriately assigned to Signal Hill in St John's, where Marconi heard the first transatlantic wireless signal (from Cornwall), thus definitively proving over the horizon propagation :thumright:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign ... teur_radio

Australia also assigns callsigns by State/Territory:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Call_sign ... indicators
By johnm
Confirmed in the Alderney press today that GBG and GBA will continue :-) So I might be buying one when I head to the islands in a couple of weeks :-)