For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By TravellerBob
Boxkite wrote:Back to the subject.

The subject is "should he tell the police?"

The answer must be based upon what expectation you have of what the police might do with the data they are given. Now we know some police forces are "economical with the truth"* right up to Chief Cont level, and our subject may have a vehicle registered in an area so inflicted. In that case the answer has to be "no".

* Google them if you cannot remember. Start in 1984 work forwards through 1989 through to the 2010's

I wouldn't tell them what day it was, personally.
By T67M
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
The legitimate owner of the plate is the victim of a crime. If the crime isn't reported, the perpetrator can never get caught, however the victim will be the recipient of multiple speeding tickets, parking fines, and much, much worse until they do the impossible and prove a negative.
JAFO, kanga liked this
By TravellerBob
T67M wrote:The legitimate owner of the plate is the victim of a crime. If the crime isn't reported, the perpetrator can never get caught....

SYP wrote:Thank you for your call. Every one of our police officers is busy right now chasing an evil villain who disagreed with a lesbian on Facebook.

Here's a crime reference number A55H0L35 which you can write down. It's no use to anyone but it ticks this box on my form.

'av chuffin' day.
By JAFO
Report the crime and possibly end up being ever so slightly inconvenienced once or twice while the police investigate the matter.

Or

Don't report the crime and end up with fines/bailiffs at the door/as a suspect yourself.

Up to you, really, doesn't bother me one way or the other.
kanga, T67M liked this
By TravellerBob
@eltonioni seems to be another one who pulls the pin and lobs it just to then completely ignore the result. :?
By eltonioni
TravellerBob wrote:@eltonioni seems to be another one who pulls the pin and lobs it just to then completely ignore the result. :?

Not at all Bob. I was listening. I'm erring on reporting it but every fibre in my body screams that it's going to be a right old ball ache that never ends.

I was also working out how to break it to you that my dad served in South Yorkshire Police for 32 years.
Sooty25, Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Paultheparaglider
I'd definitely report it. And, I would actually be pleased to be pulled over a few times as it would confirm the police were taking effective action. Just keep your licence to hand and the inconvenience should be minimal.

eltonioni wrote:No mistaking a Porsche for a Ford Mustang

Well, clearly wild horses wouldn't drag Bob to report this, but the consensus here seems to be to report, which answers your original question.
Miscellaneous, kanga, JAFO and 1 others liked this
By Miscellaneous
eltonioni wrote:I was also working out how to break it to you that my dad served in South Yorkshire Police for 32 years.

Any other force you may have been okay, I fear with the word Yorkshire you may have scored an own goal. :wink:
By TravellerBob
eltonioni wrote:I was also working out how to break it to you that my dad served in South Yorkshire Police for 32 years.

What would he tell you to do? ...and do that.
By skydriller
Of course, one question to be asked is why the company contacting the car driver cant inform the police themselves now they know a cloned numberplate is out there, especially if they suggest it should be done...

FTAOD, I merely pointed out in my initial reply what I heard happened to friends of my parents. I did not say that that if you are getting problems you should not inform the police.

Regards, SD..
By RobW
I have this happen a lot, people clone the cars I have advertised on the forecourt. Inform the police (but dont expect anything other than a crime number) This crime number will often be requested by the various parking enforcement companies, the bad news is that you can expect a flurry of these (last one we had a month ago generated 18) the good news is they dont last long as the culprits change the plates fairly frequently
Sooty25 liked this
By eltonioni
TravellerBob wrote:

What would he tell you to do? ...and do that.

He's an ex SYP copper. He'd tell me that I was daft for having a number plate that somebody would want to clone. :lol:
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Sooty25
just adding to the vote, @eltonioni report it.

Carry licence and the crime number on you for when/if you get stopped.

The potential for grief for you, if this other idiot does something very serious, i.e. hit & run, or premeditated crime, must outweigh the odd roadside check.

That is my opinion even though I've been on the excessively rough end of the local plod in the past, resulting in an underlying distrust of them. Maybe it's because I don't trust them fully, that I think you need it documented for your own protection.