For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By Sooty25
Paultheparaglider wrote:I'm starting to suspect you aren't actually a Yorkshire man at all. What real Yorkshire man would splash out on a personalised numberplate? :wink:

no money left to buy a round? :lol:
eltonioni liked this
By TravellerBob
eltonioni wrote:He'd tell me that I was daft for having a number plate that somebody would want to clone. :lol:

Aye.

And he'd be right. :pirat:
By eltonioni
Aren't dads great? You're all wrong. :lol: His answer was to tell the DVLA because the police will ask them if there's a connected crime and maybe call the Met because SYP won't care so won't put a marker on the Mustang with fake plates but might pull the Porsche, but the Met might put a marker on the Mustang with the fake plates but won't see the Porsche - unless I forget and go to town.
TravellerBob liked this
By rdfb
I have a very contrary suggestion to others in this thread. Not that I'm necessarily recommending this, but something to think about.

eltonioni wrote:I received a parking ticket from a private car park operator the other day with my (quite distinctive) registration on another car miles away in Dartford and photos to prove it.

But they also advised me to report it to the police so I "won't be held liable for other offences committed by the vehicle".

I don't see how you'd be held liable. In fact, quite the opposite. A criminal prosecution needs to be decided "beyond reasonable doubt" and a civil dispute requires the case to weigh against you "on the balance of probabilities". Normally, recording just a numberplate would be enough to swing it. In your case, you have evidence that a mere numberplate is not enough to identify your vehicle. If that's all the evidence there is, then proof that another vehicle exists with the same numberplate is surely reasonable doubt. So that ticket, photos and correspondence from an independent witness you have there? That's your get out of jail free card. As independently recorded evidence, it's way more powerful than your word on a police report. Don't lose it!

The downside of course is that you'd have to go through rigmarole of defending yourself, and there's always a risk that a court will fail to see sense.
By Sooty25
On the same set of scales you've weighed you "probabilities of conviction", now place "hassle of possible, 5 minute roadside check" vs "hassle of having to defend a parking/speeding/toll fine, without a crime number, and knowingly, without attempting to stop a known criminal".

Then re-weigh it replacing "parking ticket", with "causing death by reckless driving, and failing to stop after an accident".
By JAFO
eltonioni wrote:Aren't dads great? You're all wrong. :lol: His answer was to tell the DVLA because the police will ask them if there's a connected crime and maybe call the Met because SYP won't care so won't put a marker on the Mustang with fake plates but might pull the Porsche, but the Met might put a marker on the Mustang with the fake plates but won't see the Porsche - unless I forget and go to town.

SYP won't put a marker on the Mustang because there isn't a record for it so the Met couldn't put one on the Mustang, either. The record is for the Porsche and that is where the marker belongs. If the Met saw the Mustang and did a check then they would be alerted to the fact that the index mark shouldn't be on the Mustang.

No-one is going to do a check on the Mustang or the Porsche, they are going to do a check on the index mark. That's why there is only one record, linked originally to your car but only ever linked to the Mustang if you report it. Therefore you report it.
By TravellerBob
eltonioni wrote:...tell the DVLA ...

Well Wales is due to re-open in 2023, so in the meantime what do you do?

As @JAFO quite rightly points out, the only tag is against the number plate (index) so as that's yours you're back at the same point you were 36 posts ago.
JAFO liked this
By rikur_
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
rdfb wrote:
I don't see how you'd be held liable. In fact, quite the opposite. A criminal prosecution needs to be decided "beyond reasonable doubt" and a civil dispute requires the case to weigh against you "on the balance of probabilities". .....

That may be the theory, but our experience was that the civil stuff (i.e. parking offences) quickly turned into a major hassle. The private firms that run parking enforcement are clearly not chosen for their customer service, so it would routinely be 30 minutes battling an IVR to speak to someone to explain that parking offence wasn't ours, who would then kick off a long 'prove it' process. Not all of them seemed to act on our notification (despite saying on the phone they'd cancelled it) and then they kick off the court process at various locations around the country that the offences occurred. Again, another load of effort to try to stop the process, but in some cases being told you have to attend court to do so. A few slipped through the net, and then you have the men in black turning up at the door to collect the debts, who have no interest that the fine was issued in error, just court paperwork to prove they are entitled to collect it, so you have to go back to whichever company or local authority originally issued the fine to get them to stand down their debt chasers....

Honestly, I'd rather be pulled over twice a week following an ANPR check, than have to sort all that out again.
By eltonioni
JAFO wrote:
eltonioni wrote:Aren't dads great? You're all wrong. :lol: His answer was to tell the DVLA because the police will ask them if there's a connected crime and maybe call the Met because SYP won't care so won't put a marker on the Mustang with fake plates but might pull the Porsche, but the Met might put a marker on the Mustang with the fake plates but won't see the Porsche - unless I forget and go to town.

SYP won't put a marker on the Mustang because there isn't a record for it so the Met couldn't put one on the Mustang, either. The record is for the Porsche and that is where the marker belongs. If the Met saw the Mustang and did a check then they would be alerted to the fact that the index mark shouldn't be on the Mustang.

No-one is going to do a check on the Mustang or the Porsche, they are going to do a check on the index mark. That's why there is only one record, linked originally to your car but only ever linked to the Mustang if you report it. Therefore you report it.

I was paraphrasing but I'm certain you are technically right, you would know. It's probably 25 years since dad ran the SYP control room (ie, mature coppers not young civvies) so things have probably changed anyway.

Dads are still great. ;)
By TravellerBob
@eltonioni so what have you decided to do? We're all on tenterhooks here waiting to find out.