For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By kanga
Boxkite wrote:Martens are the problem in Germany...

Our only equivalent experience was a groundhog in the engine compartment of our vehicle, found when it was in the garage, in Ottawa. Garage door was usually shut, so it may have come aboard elsewhere.
By Big Dex
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
I had problems with pine martens (Fouine) in the loft of a French house; lobbing a few of the chlorine blocks normally used in the swimming pool into the loft on the advice of a local convinced them to move out.
By Sir Morley Steven
Living on the river and by fields we get all brands of rodents.
I don't like doing it but rat poison is an extremely effective way of dealing with them. Keep going till the poison isn’t taken any more. It tastes weeks. Then, as has been said before, the survivors will have learned to make nests elsewhere.
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Sir Morley Steven wrote:Living on the river and by fields we get all brands of rodents.
I don't like doing it but rat poison is an extremely effective way of dealing with them. Keep going till the poison isn’t taken any more. It tastes weeks. Then, as has been said before, the survivors will have learned to make nests elsewhere.

Brilliant typo
By kanga
TravellerBob wrote:
kanga wrote:Our only equivalent experience was a groundhog in the engine compartment of our vehicle...

Did it come back every day? :oops:

:)

No: we left the garage door and bonnet lid open, and left it to find its own way out. WE checked regularly, and it was gone within a couple of hours. We then closed both! Clusters (evidently territorial) of groundhogs were visible on the wide grass verges of several local roads (and runways and taxiways :? ), in cluding along my (summer; but they famously hibernated anyway) cycling route to work; but we'd seen none near our particular neighbourhood before, so it may have had to do a bit of a wander to find friends. They were unconcerned about people or vehicles, and seemed to have some road sense. However, with the scarcity in recent decades of wolves, lynx and foxes within the city, their only dangerous predator was probably the motor car!