For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
By chevvron
I seem to recall several years ago that a scientist predicted a volcanic 'event' on one of the smaller Canary islands where after a few weeks of activity, a tremendous explosion would cause a huge part of the island to break off and slide into the ocean, triggering a tsunami which then travelled across the Atlantic swamping most of the eastern seaboard of the USA including New York.

Who should I warn about this because Biden is pretty clueless about most things.?
By eltonioni
You recall correctly, there was a (Discovery?) documentary too with all the scary projections.

I remembered it too and did a bit of ferreting the other week and came up with a few experts who didn't think it likely at all. There was one mudslide chap (?) from Sheffield Uni who had a wander on the island and couldn't see what they were talking about. Mind you, Orlando would be improved by a beach and Tampa would be improved by being underwater.
By johnm
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
A more measured analysis here and hereand as Biden is equipped with ears unlike his predecessor he may be aware.......
By akg1486
There have been, and will continue to occur, devastating geological events that alter the living conditions not only close the epicenter. The question is what society shall do to protect itself. For events such as the Boxing Day tsunami, there are plenty of things to do to make coastal communities safer, and the southern US can do things to minimize the effects of strong hurricanes. Such precautions are reasonably priced and could be compared with insuring your house: you don't expect a payout, but the expense is worth it. But an event that would cause the eastern seaboard to disappear? One figure I've seen is that 40% of the US population lives in the 10% of the land that's classified as "coastal area". Would it be a good idea to move everyone hundreds of miles inland?

Without sounding cynical, can the US government reasonably do anything else than hope and pray?

I had also heard this Canary Island theory, so it's good news if the geologists have now studied it and concluded that the risk is lower than previosly feared.