For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
tr7v8 wrote: The thirsty one (Porsche Cayenne) is at the menders at the mo funnily enough with a fuel problem. And won't be back for a few days.

Did a home visit to a patient whose son in law has a gen. 1 GTS; didn't enquire what the fuel consumption is on one of those. I complained when my S only did 21 mpg; Porsche dealership enquired if I ever touched the accellerator!

:shock:

21mpg is a dream scenario in the Turbo, only on a long straight road with no traffic in front. Trouble is, that sort of road turns into 8mpg in the blink of an eye. :lol:
By T6Harvard
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
There were very short queues at fuel stations on the way to the airfield this morning, none on the way home. No signs to say 'empty'.

I imagine there will be a rush his evening though. So creating, er, a shortage :roll: :evil:
By MattL
Got a WhatsApp from my wife while flying today warning me there was ridiculous queues everywhere as she tried to get to school, which was great except I didn’t have enough fuel to get home so had to find somewhere in the chaos. Luckily going to the really expensive BP on the A road was ok as everyone else was jamming the cheaper places.

The city dwelling leaders of Oxfordshire are on a crusade to outlaw the car anyway which doesn’t help, especially for those of us living in villages with no other links …
johnm, tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
tr7v8 wrote: The thirsty one (Porsche Cayenne) is at the menders at the mo funnily enough with a fuel problem. And won't be back for a few days.

Did a home visit to a patient whose son in law has a gen. 1 GTS; didn't enquire what the fuel consumption is on one of those. I complained when my S only did 21 mpg; Porsche dealership enquired if I ever touched the accellerator!

:shock:

Mine is a Mk1 V8S so none turbo. Average over 46,000 miles is 17.x MPG. It is a 100L tank. Single figure fuel consumption is easy on a Turbo apparently.
None of the cars are full but there are enough of them to last a month, or so. When all else fails, a gallon of avgas in one of the two smokes will get me to work for a week!
By Irv Lee
Medical today, normally 1 hour drive, turned out to be 1.8, but I had anticipated jams due to queues spilling back from petrol stations and allowed 2 hours. Blood pressure better than usual surprisingly.
Flyin'Dutch' liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
tr7v8 wrote:Mine is a Mk1 V8S so none turbo. Average over 46,000 miles is 17.x MPG. It is a 100L tank. Single figure fuel consumption is easy on a Turbo apparently.

That's what I had.

After 9 months and 18000 miles I bit the bullet and got rid of it as it was the first time fuel went through the £1/l -barrier and I was spending more on fuel than I could earn by using the car.

The write down was eye watering but worth it.
tr7v8 liked this
By tr7v8
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
tr7v8 wrote:Mine is a Mk1 V8S so none turbo. Average over 46,000 miles is 17.x MPG. It is a 100L tank. Single figure fuel consumption is easy on a Turbo apparently.

That's what I had.

After 9 months and 18000 miles I bit the bullet and got rid of it as it was the first time fuel went through the £1/l -barrier and I was spending more on fuel than I could earn by using the car.

The write down was eye watering but worth it.

Mine is my work car run on a car allowance & fuel card, so not an issue. Even pre-covid I averaged 12,000 miles a year. Although I travel a lot pre covid most of my journeys were home-airport or home-railway station.
Even airport became train if it was LCY which became my airport of choice. So I taxi to the local station as there is no overnight parking there. Although started parking at Ebbsfleet which has safe overnight parking. But at £16 a day the taxi to local station rapidly becomes cheaper. I am a senior railcard carrier so the train is often much cheaper.
By Rob P
There's one at Bexhill. Excellent, thank you.

My return trip isn't until Saturday week, I'd imagine it'll all be over by then, but nice to have a fallback.

Rob P
By TheFarmer
I’ve just been to Chieveley services to fill up the Touareg and the farm truck (basically, panic buying), and there was a queue already.

It was 5:30 am!

Everywhere else (I’ve been told) in the Newbury area has sold out, hence I was prepared to pay £1.58 for diesel… :shock: :evil: