For help, advice and discussion about stuff not related to aviation. Play nice: no religion, no politics and no axe grinding please.
johnm wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Really? My understanding is that batteries are generally warranted for 7-8 years,

That's interesting, a typical 3 year old ICE comes with 6 month warranty with option to extend through an insurance arrangement so this looks quite a lot better.

I am now at the point where electric might well be on the list when next I have to buy a car. I have power in the garage, but only a standard ring main, is that adequate for charging over night typically??

My Model 3 battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles of less than 70% original capacity. Tesla simply have no data on battery replacements as they are rare, they had one car that they had to replace but it had done over 250k miles and was a taxi with frequent Supercharging.
A 13 A ring main will be perfectly adequate, you will get roughly 10 miles of range for each hour it's plugged in. So basically, if you spend 12 hours at home each night you are good for 120 miles.
A 13A socket will mean you will struggle to charge it using only off-peak rates - whether that is Economy 7 or Octopus Go (basically "economy 4"). Having a 7.4kW outlet makes things much easier but requires a fatter cable.

PS Add me to the list of acquaintances who didn't lease his EV.
Flying_john liked this
By Flyin'Dutch'
FLYER Club Member  FLYER Club Member
Colonel Panic wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:because they would of course come to the end of their battery warranty period soon after being sold

Really? My understanding is that batteries are generally warranted for 7-8 years, and AIUI (never having had one) leases tend to be 2-3-4 years.

Yup.

They say nobody is going to buy a four year old car to take the risk that in 5 years the battery is duff and needs to be replaced for serious money.

To illustrate this, I looked at leasing a 4 year old e-Up; the longest lease they would do? 1 year at 3 times the monthly cost of a new one.

If the manufacturer has little appetite to underwrite that risk one would be particularly naive (I think) to do it as a private person.
By PeteSpencer
Colonel Panic wrote:A 13A socket will mean you will struggle to charge it using only off-peak rates - whether that is Economy 7 or Octopus Go (basically "economy 4"). Having a 7.4kW outlet makes things much easier but requires a fatter cable.

Our Electricity mains enters the house at one of those ugly but accessible from outside white meter cabinets: It's only 10 metres from the garage: Can a feed be taken from this or does the fatter cable have to come from the 'fusebox'/distribution board which is in the middle of the house, and so much further from the garage?
By johnm
Hmmm I hadn't considered off peak tariffs, never used them. Since everything is switched off while we're asleep:-)

Equally the garage is fed from the same spur that powers the septic tank pump, so I may be doing some digging up of the main feed cable and acquiring another meter........
By malcolmfrost
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:because they would of course come to the end of their battery warranty period soon after being sold

Really? My understanding is that batteries are generally warranted for 7-8 years, and AIUI (never having had one) leases tend to be 2-3-4 years.

Yup.

They say nobody is going to buy a four year old car to take the risk that in 5 years the battery is duff and needs to be replaced for serious money.

To illustrate this, I looked at leasing a 4 year old e-Up; the longest lease they would do? 1 year at 3 times the monthly cost of a new one.

If the manufacturer has little appetite to underwrite that risk one would be particularly naive (I think) to do it as a private person.

People have been buying ICE cars that need their timing belt replaced at 70k miles (or risk catastrophic engine damage) for years! I anticipate there will one day soon be a thriving market in refurbishing and upgrading battery packs. It's already happening in California.
Flyin'Dutch' wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:

Yup.

I suppose it depends on how you define "soon" then; if a battery can (& will) last for more than 8 years then to me that is not "soon" after a 2-3-4 year lease runs out. But I do understand that leasing companies might be shy in wanting to issue a new lease on a used car.
By johnm
Hmmm Top of the range Subaru Outback at 3 years old compares in capital cost with a Nissan Leaf, so maybe a little way to go yet. Though running cost reductions might allow for a bigger up front spend, more study methinks..
StratoTramp liked this
By eltonioni
malcolmfrost wrote: People have been buying ICE cars that need their timing belt replaced at 70k miles (or risk catastrophic engine damage) for years!

Hehe, you didn't fall for that did you? :wink:
By JAFO
eltonioni wrote:
malcolmfrost wrote: People have been buying ICE cars that need their timing belt replaced at 70k miles (or risk catastrophic engine damage) for years!

I didn't fall for that with a Volvo I owned many years ago. I did have to put a new engine in when the cambelt went, though.
By StratoTramp
Driving down to Somerset going to see parents this weekend from Beds. Filled up last week - Pretty sure it's back to more or less normality from what I'm seeing round here. Guess lots of choice on motorways.

Have an 'experience' flight at Dunkeswell (more just to go up in an Ikarus C42, to help my buying decisions next year, kind of want an A-22 but pricey pricey) fingers crossed wind stays low, it got cancelled last time I was there in august due to <1km vis at field.

I'm hoping next year just to start flying down to my parents and skip the M25 / M4 / M5 for literal flying visits. :lol: Don't have to worry about traffic then or protestors - If I get a Skyranger I can open the window and drop things on them - WW1 style :lol: Then of course promptly get written up by the CAA for dropping something from a plane when not authorised. :cyclopsani:
By StratoTramp
JAFO wrote:
eltonioni wrote:

I didn't fall for that with a Volvo I owned many years ago. I did have to put a new engine in when the cambelt went, though.

There was a guy at work about 10 years back who's Volvo was like triggers broom. Think it had like 350k+ miles. Old boxy blue one (not good with old volvo model names). Was one of the explosive safety officers.

EDIT: Having looked at it that milage is nothing!

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/miles.php